Ballistic Battery 4 cells EVO2 will work for Honda CB500T??
Close

This is a discussion on Ballistic Battery 4 cells EVO2 will work for Honda CB500T?? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a 1975 Honda CB500T and I want to put small battery (4 cells EVO2),and I'm building a custom. I was wondering if it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have a 1975 Honda CB500T and I want to put small battery (4 cells EVO2),and I'm building a custom. I was wondering if it will work with kick start only and Head and Tail lights.. I want to make sure if that will work and go very well?? The Battery is Ballistic Performance 4 cells EVO2.. I have heard some poeple said LifePo will work and i have seen and about 2 lbs but the EVO 2 only has under 1 lbs? whats big difference? Need to know as soon as possible.
    Last edited by camsault; 03-21-2013 at 01:26 PM.

you want something with at least 12 Amp hours.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

12 amp hour is fine, but i was wondering if the 4 cells EVO2 will work then?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Does a 4 cell EVO 2 have 12 volts? 12 Ahr? and at least 108 watt hours? Those are the minimum specs for a cb500t battery.

these are the specs for an EVO2 4 cell:
    4 Cell EVO2 $109.95

Ballistic Perforamnce Components Part Number: 100-010
    Parts Unlimited Part Number: 2113-0258

• Dimensions (Metric): 61mm (L) x 61mm (W) x 112mm (H)
    • Dimensions (Standard): 2.5" (L) x 2.5" (W) x 4.25" (H)
    • Negative Terminal Location: Right
    • Weight: 444 grams (.979 lbs.)
    • Voltage (Charged): 13.6V
    • Amperage: 2.3 Amp/Hour
    • Lead Acid Equivalent Amperage: 8 Pb-eq/Ah
    • Burst Cranking Amps: 135amps

Maybe I was wrong to assume you were smart enough to understand batteries and their requirements or how to figure it out. So here is lesson number 1: when in doubt look at the factory specs. Cold cranking amps refer to the burst amps needed to power an electronic starter, but since you do not have one of those it is irrelevent to your needs. Amp Hour and Watt Hour are relevent to what your system needs over time. So if the cb500T requires 12 Ahrs and your 4 cell EVO puts out 2.3.....well you tell me if it is going to work....

normally I would say you have your answer but I read this on EVO2's website:

A Ballistic Performance Components EVO2 battery will operate completely different. EVO2 batteries have significantly less internal resistance so they are able to discharge more of their capacity in a burst and still remain usable. Because the usable capacity is much greater than an equivalent lead-acid, a 6.9Ahr 12 Cell EVO2 is on par with a 20AHr lead acid battery in actual performance as a starter battery. To illustrate this, we use the rating of Pb-eq A/Hr or lead (Pb) equivalent (eq) Amp Hour (A/Hr). The lead acid equivalent amp/hour rating is a simple way to compare the starting capacity of a LiFePO4 battery with the starting capacity of a lead-acid battery.
    so where does that leave you? probably calling or emailing EVO2 and asking them directly. Which is what you should have done in the first place. Although if you follow EVO2's website the 4 cell has a Lead Acid Equivalent Amperage of 8 Pb-eq/Ah where as the 8 cell has a Lead Acid Equivalent Amperage of 15 Pb-eq/Ah.

Of course the next post will be someone who knows electricity way better than me telling me how wrong I am anyway.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Now that Kerry is done being an asshole. I picked up a Ballistic 8 cell for my triumph (kick only (obviously), no turn signals). Great reviews and its tiny. The 8 cell might be slightly overkill for my use but if weight savings were my only goal- the rider would be the first place to look.

The Ballistic site says "The 4 Cell EVO2 is designed for use in multi-cylinder applications of less than 550cc and for 350cc and under 4 stroke single cylinder dirt bikes, scooters, and ATVs."

As this was different animal than the Yuasa I have run for the last 13 years - I called Ballistic. I found them to be super helpful and friendly. Good luck.

Thanks for your help, I have read all Ballistic website, that they said it will fit a Cb500T, I was awkward with it because its so small... the 4 cells EVO2 has 13.6V which is enough for power, but the Ahrs is very low (2.3), so thats why I'm asking someone who knows a lot about electricity. I need a advice.... I have seen a few pictures of Cafe Racer some of them have no battery or hidden them with flat seat see Name:  honda-cb450-cafe-racer8negro3.jpg
Views: 57287
Size:  81.3 KB and see the small piece of battery box

What do you say? about 4 cells EVO 2 will go smoothly for CB500T? Just in your Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Derby View Post
    Now that Kerry is done being an asshole. I picked up a Ballistic 8 cell for my triumph (kick only (obviously), no turn signals). Great reviews and its tiny. The 8 cell might be slightly overkill for my use but if weight savings were my only goal- the rider would be the first place to look.

The Ballistic site says "The 4 Cell EVO2 is designed for use in multi-cylinder applications of less than 550cc and for 350cc and under 4 stroke single cylinder dirt bikes, scooters, and ATVs."

As this was different animal than the Yuasa I have run for the last 13 years - I called Ballistic. I found them to be super helpful and friendly. Good luck.
    I'm not being an asshole. I simply provided all the information available to make the right decision. If he's smart he'll put two and two together and see that the 8 cell Evo2 comes way closer to his needs than a 4 cell.

And you of all people know that a triumph is not a honda.

This is a custom application, and my hope is that the OP owns a multi-meter and can take readings and figure out his own needs. Will a 4cell work? who knows - there isn't enough information in the original post to even venture an educated guess.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    This is a custom application, and my hope is that the OP owns a multi-meter and can take readings and figure out his own needs. Will a 4cell work? who knows - there isn't enough information in the original post to even venture an educated guess.
    I agree with this statement. Too many factors on an old bike, and its too easy to cook these batteries by over/under voltage/charging.

How is your regulator? Is it stable? When you rev the bike to piss does the voltage after the regulator go over 13.5v? As long as all that is good, you can take the chance and try the battery out. My recommendation is to get a balance charger with the battery. After 3-4 decent length runs recharge/balance the battery and see what the readings are on the charger before starting the charge. Are the cells decently balanced? Is the battery above 50% charge? If that looks like the case, then repeat test after 1-2mos. If it still looks good, I'd balance/recharge the battery every 6mos to keep it real healthy. That way, it will pretty much last forever.

"Maybe I was wrong to assume you were smart enough to understand batteries and their requirements or how to figure it out." - that makes you an asshole.

With regard to the condition of the bike - that would be true of any part on any bike. If someone here says "I'd like run X shocks on my bike" - we dont ask if his swingarm bushings are ok or if his shock mounts are bad.

This isnt really a custom application - its the selection of a battery. The best advice in this whole thread - call Ballistic - they will help you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links