Wheels for an 81 cb750??
Close

Wheels for an 81 cb750??

This is a discussion on Wheels for an 81 cb750?? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Put your hatred aside for the cb750 c, and please help me figure out what wheels are compatible for an 81, that are roughly the ...

Wheels for an 81 cb750??

Put your hatred aside for the cb750 c, and please help me figure out what wheels are compatible for an 81, that are roughly the same diameter front to back. Or a link to a previous thread.
    Thanks.

I forget, is the cb750C shaft drive? I think it is still chain.

What do you mean by compatible? strictly bolt on? bolt on with some mods? part of a larger upgrade package?

What size are you looking for?

For the record, I don't think any of us "hate" the cb750C. But we do hate retards who think they can build terrible handling, non athletic, poser lifestyle tributes to 1950's british motorcycles out of them. I personally thing there is plenty of room to build a really creative and original custom motorcycle out of them if you can figure out how to play to it's strengths. Which brings me back to some of my original questions:

what is it you are looking to do? Do you just hate comstars? do you want access to more modern rubber? looking to ditch that shitty drum rear brake?
    Last edited by Geeto67; 10-15-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

It's chain driven.

Mainly, I hate the look of 19" on the front and 16" on the back. But it would improve handling if I could get the rear wheel larger than the front. Correct?
    18" on both would be great, but what Honda makes and models have some that can just bolt on? I can take my own measurements,but no sellers provide them.
    The rear drum isn't too much of an issue, though a rear wheel with a disk would be better if possible.

Thanks for the help

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pickinfights View Post
    But it would improve handling if I could get the rear wheel larger than the front. Correct?
    Um....no.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickinfights View Post
    ...But it would improve handling if I could get the rear wheel larger than the front. Correct? ...
    It depends on the existing geometry, but generally, no. The rolling distance of the front and rear wheel are usually the same regardless of the wheel size. (The rear tire is taller) As it relates to handling, a shorter sidewall in the back might make it feel less squishy in the turns but usually not and the only real noticeable difference is a rougher ride when the road is bumpy.

Comstars are not rare and they were available in 18's front and back as well as different widths.

As for what will fit; you can swap bearings and get most any wheel to "fit" any axle. The bigger issues to work out are with brakes, swingarm clearance, etc.

I don't know of any direct bolt-on's but that doesn't mean there isn't one... I'm no Honda expert!

-Deek

In the front, and you may have to import it - the cb1100F uses a "boomerang" comstar that is 18" (american market bikes use a 19"). The cb1100F uses a larger axle so a bearing swap is in order, that being said you should be able to use everything else in the front from your donor bike. However, you are still stuck with a leading front axle forks which are garbage. The cx500 turbo technically uses the same front rim and it may be 18".

The rear is tougher since anything with a disc brake is going to require you to fabricate a mount for the master cylinder. The closest you can get to bolt on is a cb750F rear setup from the swingarm pivot to the tire.

If you want a true 100% bolt on solution here is what you do: Sell your cb750C, buy a same year cb750F and then swap out the front and rear for a set of 18" boomerang comstars (technically the rear will already be an 18" five spoke comstar but it won't match the front). By doing this you will automatically upgrade to a rear disc and non-leading axle forks. winning.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 10-16-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Thanks for the help guys.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    CBX-6 wheels should be a direct swap and come in 'nicer' sizes
    16" rear wheels with fat tyres really suck until you put 50psi in them then they wear out in 2,000 miles (or less)
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Sponsored Links