New guy question
Close

New guy question

This is a discussion on New guy question within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys, new to this forum. I have recently purchased a 1977 Suzuki gs550 for my kid. We are converting it from stock to a ...

New guy question

Hey guys, new to this forum. I have recently purchased a 1977 Suzuki gs550 for my kid. We are converting it from stock to a mild cafe racer. I would like to use shorter throttle/brake/clutch cables since changing out the bars. Does anyone have any experience with this swap? Also looking for quality parts vendors for cafe items. I am sure this is just the first of many posts this winter. Thanks for any information.
    peace Bud

What bars did you change to? How much shorter do you need to go? Usually you can just re-route cables to take up slack.

What kind of items are you looking for? ("Cafe items")

-Deek

Thanks for the quick reply Deek. They are clubman bars. The throttle cable is cracked in three spots and must be replaced. Thought if I could buy one a couple inches shorter it would be a neater look. The items I will be looking for are fuel tank, seat/rear fender eliminator, rear sets. I know ebay is a source but would like to narrow them down. Other forums I am a member of have had sponsoring vendors.
    peace Bud

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rgtrough View Post
    , rear sets.
    try fast from the past. id think about tires, rear/front suspension, engine performance too. finding a replacement (alloy/glass) gas tank might be hard
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

Yeah if you have to replace it, you might as well get one the right length. Route your existing one the way you want it, let it overhang the controls and measure how far it overhangs. Subtract that from the total length and that's your new length. (Sounds too simple to explain but some people can't comprehend the method so I explain it anyway...)

I can't speak for their products but I've been looking at speedmotoco.com for some accessories. Dime city used to be a sponsor here; not sure why exactly they aren't anymore but they have a reputation of selling some quality stuff and some crap. I can't stand their website, personally so I don't shop there!

-Deek

If you're handy / competent with a soldering iron / torch you can use bicycle brake cables as throttle cables. Cut them to any length you want and solder on a wire end and it's cheap alternative.

You can also buy screw on wire ends if you don't want to solder:

Flanders Cable Parts Search Results

Hey Hillsy, I may try this with the new cables if I don't like the length.
    Hey Deek, I agree with you about Dime City's website, very confusing. Will check out speedmotopro and fast from the past though.
    Hey Dirkchecken, before it's over we will go through everything. Already have replaced the stock exhaust, jetted and synced the carbs, new rotors and pads. Front suspension is a must.
    We plan on replacing the tank and fenders with custom units. I will be happy if people have to ask what kind of bike it is.
    peace Bud

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

As far as a similar build, here is mine (79 GS550), I am not going full "cafe".....the late seventies is a little, well, late for that "look". But I do have clubmans and rear sets. I didn't need to shorten cables, and I went into some detail about fitting the rear sets. I fabbed my own brackets and brake actuator lever. I used rear set pegs from Old School Speed. Kris Richardson, the owner was very helpful. He swapped out my shifter lever for one that had the actuator pointing down, instead of up like the universal set comes with (no charge). It needs to point down, or you will need to modify the existing linkages. I also gave hime the dimensions of the brackets that I made, because he was thinking of making them, to sell as a kit. I'd drop him an e-mail. Here's his site: Old School Speed :: Custom Billet Parts For Your Vintage Cafe' or Bobber
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

MotionPro will make your cables any length you want for a reasonable price.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Sponsored Links