second disc on a gt500
Close

second disc on a gt500

This is a discussion on second disc on a gt500 within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; maybe greasy , diamondj or someone else can can give some input. will i get much more braking power adding a second disc? will getting ...

second disc on a gt500

maybe greasy , diamondj or someone else can can give some input. will i get much more braking power adding a second disc? will getting a gt750 wheel, left fork leg(w/ disc mount). suzuki disc, caliper, braided line. is it worth doing? or a waste of time and $ ? thanks, tom
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

A lot of the guys racing T&GT500's consider two discs overkill on race bikes. I know several that have started out with two and taken the second off. My race bike has a single disc. Then again two discs might be useful for a panic stop on the crowded streets here in NJ. The swap might be worth it for other reasons - the GT500 dampers are a weird design where the rods are solid rather than hollow. Where the GT550 and 750 have hollow damper rods that can be modified to improve the damping. Or you can add an emulator valve set-up. Mike's XS sells a 35mm version that works on the GT550/750 forks. If I am remembering correctly, you can use the stock GT500 triple clamps (they are 35mm just like the 550 and the 750) and slide the rest of the assembly into place. The GT750 legs are about 2" longer than the 500's and I think the 550 legs are either the same length or about 1" longer depending on year. The '74 models 550 & 750 have a unique dust boot over the seal - if these are missing they are hard to find.

Also - if you are looking to improve handling or offset the longer forks (T500's start handling poorly if you raise the front higher than stock) you could look for a 1973 or later GT250 wheel which is 18" diameter.
    Last edited by Diamondj; 02-03-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Friend of mine had a T500 with a 750 dual disc front. Braking was "better" but it was really heavy and probably not a great improvement.

You'd be better off getting a twin piston caliper off a later model bike like a 1st gen SV650 and mating that up to the single disc with a braided line.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dirkchecken View Post
    thats a direct bolt on' to the stock fork leg? thanks gentleman, t
    You could make up an aluminum plate to mount a different caliper. I have a bandsaw - if you mark out the pattern I can cut it out for you.

While we're throwing alternate ideas out there - what about swapping in a GS500 front end and rear wheel?

thanks, jim , did you ever put a t-350 swingarm on the 500? just got one today. the pivot and axle are the same dia. its 4" shorter. will have to remount the top shock mount. seems like a popular mod on the 70's race bikes., t Attachment 5305
    You will need to cut out and relocate the rear fender mount/brace otherwise the wheel will hit it.

thats a direct bolt on' to the stock fork leg? thanks gentleman, t
    Hang on - I don't know if thats' a direct bolt-on fit. More than likely it isn't (knowing the Japanese and their tendancy to make everything "different").

But like Jim said, with an aluminium plate and a bandsaw.....

Keep in mind you want a 2 piston caliper with a sliding carriage for the inner pad. A 4 or 6 piston caliper will foul on your spokes.

Sponsored Links