A2 Cam
Close

A2 Cam

This is a discussion on A2 Cam within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; started experimenting with my cam, measured the stock 360 cam, and ratio of rocker arms, gave it 380 lift and similar duration, talked to some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A2 Cam

A2 Cam

Name:  IMG_1083.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  3.49 MB

started experimenting with my cam, measured the stock 360 cam, and ratio of rocker arms, gave it 380 lift and similar duration, talked to some people about 360 racing cams and apparently they're not good for overall power, and only "come on" at very high rpms. this is machined from A2, using manual interpolation, then filing to smooth things out, measured for straightness across the lobe as well. I left .010" on the bearings so I can turn them to size after heat treat. I have to weld on a flange for the sprocket bolts, it was either that or turn the thing from a 4" bar... definitely undesirable. Planning on preheating the weld area, using cr-mo filler, and then sending the whole shebang to heat treat for RC-56 or so. A2 is a very good wearing tool steel, I hope everything else in the top end survives it

super cool. Keep us posted here. I am pretty clueless when it comes to machining - but all this isvery interesting to follow.
    -

Awesome project. It is very ambitious to make a cam shaft from blank tool steel if you're not already setup to do them. But if you've got the machines and the time and the skill then more power to you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Name:  IMG_1084.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  3.73 MB

just need to machine a flange and weld it on... going to need to do some research as I'm becoming unsure whether to weld it pre or post heat treat... it would be a complete heartbreaker if it cracked in heat treat

Could you press it on and pin it post heat treat? Or press it on and dutch key it? or press it on and woodruff key it? I don't know if 360s have adjustable cam sprockets available or if it is even useful for degreeing your cam in but could you incorporate that in the design?
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Also, are both of the intake or exhaust lobes the inners? If so, I just looked at that thing and thought you could make a cam in cam design and have variable lobe seperation pretty easily. I mean....if you wanted to go off the deep end or something. I mean...i already feel like we need a decent paraphrased Raoul Duke quote for this .

Also, this looks great!
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

I talked to the heat treaters and they recommended not welding a2 at all, but if I had to, making the flange from a2, welding it, then doing a full anneal and reharden cycle ($$$)... so I thought about the design again and am going to make a split flange that encloses a 3/8" pin going through the cam, the flange will be welded to itself and then turned flat where the sprocket goes.

well, made a split flange with a 3/16" woodruff key, I'll be dropping the cam off at heat treat tomorrow, I think a2 takes 2 days... then the fun can continue

Name:  IMG_1099.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  3.52 MB

got it back from heat treat, turned the bearings to size and polished, and then installed the flange, went pretty smooth, got it installed now and still have over 100 thou valve to piston clearance, did some checks and have 10.4:1 compression, and with the clearance, can bump it to 11.5:1 by milling the head .025", think I'll run it as is and bump the compression if I feel it needs it

What is this for? Fastest 360 ever? Very cool.
    how are the lobes machined? Just pass with a mill, turn a bit adjust and another pass?
    -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links