72 gt380 engine rebuild - Page 2
Close

72 gt380 engine rebuild

This is a discussion on 72 gt380 engine rebuild within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; thanks for all the input yall, i appreciate it. about the crank, i asked chris from limey bikes here in austin and i firmly trust ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thanks for all the input yall, i appreciate it. about the crank, i asked chris from limey bikes here in austin and i firmly trust what he says ( he has guided me through my first few clueless years of vintage bikes and never given me bad advice, most of the time was able to help me fix my bike over the phone.)also id rather send it off to someone i know will do a good job than send it to someone if found "can do it". i went through a cb350 and loved it. i ended up selling it to a guy who im sure enjoyed it mostly for the look and probly had no idea what hagon shocks were much less the boretech ignition or why the footpegs were so far back.

but now im on the 380 and allthough it doesnt look like much and it is mostly a stocker, i love it, i like the two stroke aspect, the engine is supremely easy to work on compared to the cb or the kz750 i had for a bit. i guess i just love bikes that handle like garbage haha. but anyway i killed this bike and id like to bring it back that is all.

the engine was in good shape given its age, i gues one of the po's had rebuilt it already being that its so clean inside and there is make your own gasket goup all inbetween the cases. which i realized is why the middle cylinder never ran as good as it should have (small leak from inbetween cases near center cylinder)

the only thing i would be worried about with just getting a new engine is the crank. at their age, none of the cranks i find will really be in tip top shape and since i plan for the 380 to be my daily rider/slowly add parts here and there (suspension, elec ignition and such) i feel like i might as well make whatever i can fresh again.

so getting down to it. yes i will probly spend a grand on this and hopefully i can have it going by mid summer and will be more than satisfied with that. i dont have a second bike and i dont make a lot of money so i am just weighing my options. im stuck between just having something to ride and figuring while im here i might as well....
    thanks TSwami ill send a pm about that crank. i think just the center cylinder since the other two are still good enough to throw pistons into, i will probly try to get that and the crank and have someone fix the bottom case, hone the cylinders, grab some pistons and rings and go with it. well see what happens.

If you are planning on the 380 being a daily driver amd project bike, then you need to get at least one more complete parts bike. You can then take the complete motor from it and use it while you rebuild the other motor. Ideally you should have three or four parts bikes and build up a second bike while you ride the stocker. Then ride the second bike while you then build the stocker to the next phase.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

i agree, ive actually been looking on craigslist for a couple hours but havnt seen much, i also messaged the guy with the gt380 engine on ebay twice in the last 2 days and got nothing back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

just to be teased by an overzealous wife trying to get rid of her husbands 75 cb400 four ss for $500, someone got the pot of gold before i could make it to the leprechaun. and there is no gt380 or parts for one in this state. besides 1 super nice one.
    looks like looking for a new bike while i find the parts for this one is whats gonna happen.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    If you have measurements for rod I may have one (or forging numbers?)
    I can also re-build crank although I haven't done a Suzuki triple since about 1986
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

i found a rod on ebay crazy pj. would you be able to balance it correctly.

I think you mean true it, balance is set at factory. Truing isn't actually too difficult

my bad. still learning. what kinda price are we taking here?
    i would need to order new bearings and seals too i suppose.

Yep, I'm not sure what rods I have all together so anything that you want changed, source first.
    I'll pm you, may come up in notifications (top right)

Amazingly,

Temecula shows the con-rods, seals, and the bearings all as available (they have prices). Not sure if they really are or if the fiche page is out of date:

Inland Empire California|Honda Yamaha Motorcycles|Used Motorcycles|Kawasaki|Suzuki Quad|Polaris|CanAm|SeaDoo|ATV Motorcycle Service|Victory|Watercraft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links