72 gt380 engine rebuild - Page 3
Close

72 gt380 engine rebuild

This is a discussion on 72 gt380 engine rebuild within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; i just checked, it looks like everything is specified as 73-77 i need 72 which is what im finding a lot of while looking for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    i just checked, it looks like everything is specified as 73-77 i need 72 which is what im finding a lot of while looking for parts for this bike. does anyone know if there are any size differences internally, or with crank bearings/ rods ect.?

im looking another bottom end on ebay, everything below cylinders besides covers. that way ill just have to buy new seals and bearings if needed. if i use my cases and crank im going to spend at least 500 on labor so i think this might be the smarter route to go. then i will just need to find a new center cylinder. im not 100% sure but it looks like i would have to go to a pretty large bore to get rid of the chunks i took out of mine.

also has anyone ever heard of closing the oil recycling ports off. alot of people on the suzuki two stroke site said they have and it doesnt change much besides having one less thing that could go wrong. apparently they didnt have it on later models? just a thought.

I would just have PJ rebuild the crank for you. That way you know it is good. I would do that even if you find a spare motor. Then build your current motor with a good crank, ported cylinders, bigger carbs and some expansion chambers. It would be cool.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Don't block off the oil feed to main bearings.
    The oil pump is multi plunger, in effect 6 pumps in one body (or maybe 5? it's 20+ years since I had one apart)
    There are oil slingers on crank that feed oil to big ends after it's been through main bearings, when blocked off, the big ends get virtually no oil.
    If slingers are removed it's possible to run pre-mix on race motors, but without removal...................................
    They work so well, Suzuki discontinued the use on the singles and MX motors, people never needed to change cranks as they didn't wear out (unless dirt got in there or were severely over revved)
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by crazypj View Post
    Don't block off the oil feed to main bearings.
    The oil pump is multi plunger, in effect 6 pumps in one body (or maybe 5? it's 20+ years since I had one apart)
    There are oil slingers on crank that feed oil to big ends after it's been through main bearings, when blocked off, the big ends get virtually no oil.
    If slingers are removed it's possible to run pre-mix on race motors, but without removal...................................
    They work so well, Suzuki discontinued the use on the singles and MX motors, people never needed to change cranks as they didn't wear out (unless dirt got in there or were severely over revved)
    I think he's talking about the SRIS valves on the front of the crankcase. This system works in conjunction with the scavenging system that takes used oil from the bottom of the crankcase and forces it up to the cylinder walls where the oil is burnt off in the combustion chambers. This is known as SRIS (Suzuki Recycle Injection System). You can disconnect it but on a street engine but if the valves are working correctly, why bother? It works and you don't have to open the drain bolts under the crank wheels as often.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links