72 gt380 engine rebuild
Close

72 gt380 engine rebuild

This is a discussion on 72 gt380 engine rebuild within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; hey guys, see my post in the new members section about how stupid i am or just read on. so heres the deal. I bought ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

72 gt380 engine rebuild

hey guys, see my post in the new members section about how stupid i am or just read on.
    so heres the deal. I bought a 72 gt380 about a week ago and just got finished with all the paperwork for it and the daunting task of getting it registered in my name which brings me to now- its been 3 days since i took it out for its first hwy ride and one day since i blew it up.
    basically the po told me the 2 cycle oil tank was recently filled. i was dumb enough to not check it since the bike was new to me and i didnt know anything about bleeding the oil lines i thought id leave the wrenching for another day and just try to enjoy the bike for a few days.
    center piston is destroyed along with the center connecting rod, the center cylinder and a load of piston srap in the bottom case.
    Name:  20140215_163708[1].jpg
Views: 2249
Size:  2.02 MBName:  20140303_161412[1].jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  2.16 MBName:  20140303_161453[1].jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  1.86 MBName:  20140303_161341[1].jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  1.72 MBName:  20140303_161400[1].jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  1.69 MB what i need is a new crankshaft seeing as no one in the whole state of texas has the appropriate tools to fix my current crankshaft. or a reputable shop somewhere off in the world that i can send mine to, to be rebuilt. or am i screwed and need to find a new engine? lets just say im not working with a huge budget so the most cost effective way would probly be the best. also since i already have the thing apart and know that it was running great before this mishap, i was thinking it would be cool to bore the jugs and get some new pistons, basically have a new engine when im all done.

any advice on how to come back from completely ruining a two stroke engine would be helpful and appreciated and dont forget to make fun of me for my dumb mistake as i know most of you love to give a hard time.

Sundial Moto Sports ? Index pagebmartin and 8ball gave good advice on the other thread. join this site. . they have a sale and wanted section. the only place you might find a crankset is ebay. I got a set of s3 and gt500 pistons/rings here. the s3 stuff is good so far. have yet to run the gt.cruzinimage_co | eBay
    Last edited by dirkchecken; 03-03-2014 at 07:02 PM.
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

cruzinimage_co | eBay........... has piston/ring sets .. standard ,.5 and 1.0 mm over. $60 plus ship.. I have them in my s3.they run fine . ive heard other positive things too. power seal in pa for machine/boring work.. on your way
    Last edited by dirkchecken; 03-03-2014 at 07:01 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

tempting but im sure it would take forever just to find the parts to complete that. first time id ever heard of a sparton, pretty awesome.

I won't get your hopes up and say any of it is useful but I have a GT380 engine that has been kicking around my garage for a long time. I can check and see if the crank is usable. Cylinders may be usable with a hone. If you end up not being able to find anything let me know.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

As long as there isn't a crack where it looks like the rod hit the lower case, and the bearing jornals aren't destroyed, I think your cases are fine.

I find it hard to believe there isn't a whole shop in the state of texas that can help you. I just think you aren't asking the right people. There have to be two stroke shops in texas and every two stroke shop should have the "tools" to do a service crank rebuild. I have heard good things about the crank shop in vt, they can probably rebuild your crankshaft:
    - The Crank Shop Vermont Specializing in Ski Doo Performance Aftermarket Products

To be fair, it probably isn't worth it to rebuild your GT380. It isn't in all that great of shape to being with and you are looking at a grand in machine work and parts to get you back on the road. I would just try to find a complete GT380 motor with good compression and crank seals and stab that in your bike instead - it will be cheaper.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I still think buying another engine will be cheaper in the long run than repairing what you got... engines available on ebay for a few hundred dollars...
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

I'd have to echo what others have said - see if you can find another engine or at least a good crank to rebuild. I doubt the con-rods are available any longer. If the VIN on the cases matches the frame VIN it may be worth reusing the stock cases. They don't look too badly damaged in the pictures.

For crank rebuilds - there's Bill Bune: Bill Bune Enterprises-Anoka Minnesota-motorcycle, snowmobile, atv & watercraft

and Wisconsin Recreational Crankshaft: Wisconsin Recreational South Range, WI, 54874 - YP.com

Since you are in Texas I imagine you don't have a strong snowmobile industry where you would find folks that can rebuild a crankshaft. Maybe some of the water powersports shops know of someone?

If you do have to ship your crank for rebuild, I've had good success sending them packed in plastic tool boxes. Well padded on the inside and reinforced with packing tape on the outside. Plus the mailman appreciates the handle.
    Last edited by Diamondj; 03-04-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Ask Micah at AF1 about crank rebuilders. We send ours to Bill Bune and any used motor will need a crank rebuild and new seals. Sundial is the place to go for guys with 380s. Someone there may know of a replacement rod. That motor is just a GT250 plus an extra cylinder and somewhere on line there's all sorts of cross references. If you can get a set of oversize pistons from Cuizinimage, grab them. They are cheap and reasonable quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links