Electrical issues
Close

Electrical issues

This is a discussion on Electrical issues within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So I'm having some electrical issues with my bike. It's a '75 Honda CB360T. Started roughly 4-5 months ago, I didn't turn my key all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Electrical issues

So I'm having some electrical issues with my bike. It's a '75 Honda CB360T. Started roughly 4-5 months ago, I didn't turn my key all the way off and it drained my battery. Since then, I've taken the battery to Advanced Auto Parts and they recharged it. I haven't had a chance to ride it since probably late October/early November due to my headlight, taillight and gauges all not turning on for anything. The bike itself still starts up first or second kick (it's kick start only, the electric start was broken when I bought it and I don't really care to have it fixed).

Now, when I first got the bike my buddy and I hooked a wire up to something and it started and I don't know what that wire is coming from or to, but it ran and everything worked just fine. Ever since the battery was recharged however the lights have seized to work. It's not a fuse or anything blown, they sorta just gradually dimmed down and out in the span of less than a month. Could it be a dead cell in the battery and I should just replace that to see if it works? Is it potentially something more? None of the switches on my bars work (turn signals {I don't even have any hooked up on the bike}, horn, electric starter, low/high beams), they were all not working when I purchased the bike, but the taillight, headlight and gauges all were working.

I'm horrible with electrics so any input is taken with open arms and ears on this one. I'm stumped.

It is hard to diagnose problems over the internet, but if you left the key on for that long, I am surprised the battery took a charge at all. It has probably lost its capacity...start with a new one and turn the key off this time!
    “And this you can know – fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe.”
    John Steinbeck

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Battery is probably screwed, if it was 'flat' for more than day or so it will never hold a proper charge. You turned ignition the wrong way and switched on parking lights
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, I don't know how I managed to do that one. Rookie error for sure! I talked to one of my friends as well who has done a lot of work on old cafe bikes and he said maybe to check the regulator rec. and that could be the cause, too. I'm really hoping it's just a battery issue instead however. So with that being said, does anybody know of any 'better' batteries than another or to stay away from certain brands, etc.? I'd like to stay away from water filled if possible, but not going to be picky with it.

Once you eliminate the battery and operator error, I would address the electric start that you said was broken. If your opting out of using it make sure the wires are properly capped or removed. My suggestion is to consider just repairing it. Troubleshooting electrical issues is easy, but I do it every day. For a battery, I like the sealed gel batteries. For my bike it ran me about a bill from Advance Auto Parts.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.-Thomas Jefferson

Yeah I hear that. I'm going to get a new battery today regardless cos the one on it now is 3 years old. If that doesn't do it I'm going to bring it to a shop

So new battery and new fuses didn't do shit for me except get me new fuses and a new battery. The way the lights dimmed out I feel like it wouldn't be a wiring issue because they didn't just cut off all of a sudden, it was more a gradual dimming over a few weeks like I previously stated.

Not positive, but I've heard that these older CB's lights are run off of a generator of some sorts, I guess like an alternator but different. Is this true? Cos that is exactly what it seems like has happened was they're just not getting the power they should be from that and it's failed.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Your buddy who works on cafe bikes probably asks a lot of questions on DTT?
    I answer most CB360 questions because I'm the damn expert on them (except for stuff I've already posted a few times, then one of the previous askers will usually answer).
    If the lights dim over a few weeks, there is nothing wrong with battery.
    What rpm are you running it? It should be close to red=line most of the time, they don't charge for shit until 3,000rpm (and don't charge at all until 2,000)
    The wiring is really simple, connect things of the same colour together, except for the indicator ground leads, they go to green not black
    You don't use the orange with white tracer or the blue with white tracer, they are for running lights that were never fitted on any CB360 I've ever seen.
    You could have any number of issues but you need to get a service manual or two before going any further
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

I'm thinking your battery is so discharged that it doesn't have enough battery power to trip the starter relay for button starting. This will not effect the kicker start method. As far as your lights go - they are all run by the battery, again your battery many not have the 12vdc to power them. Given your battery is 3 years old I'd recommend change it out with a new battery.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

this is one of those times where a multi meter is a wise investment. With it you can test the battery's standing voltage, the voltage with the bike running, and the amps the charging system is putting out. knowing these three things are essential to diagnostic. Of course that means buying a tool and learning how to use it.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links