Which bike is easier to turn into a cafe racer? - Page 2
Close

Which bike is easier to turn into a cafe racer?

This is a discussion on Which bike is easier to turn into a cafe racer? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; whats the deal with the expressing individuality jargon. i see it alot. i couldnt care less what people do. EITHER WAY thanks for the debrief ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Which bike is easier to turn into a cafe racer?

whats the deal with the expressing individuality jargon. i see it alot. i couldnt care less what people do. EITHER WAY

thanks for the debrief on that and a sliver of your precious time. ill shut up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumlas22 View Post
    sliver of your precious time.
    sliver? i thought he was on his way writing "war and peace pt 2" for you
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumlas22 View Post
    whats the deal with the expressing individuality jargon. i see it alot. i couldnt care less what people do. EITHER WAY

thanks for the debrief on that and a sliver of your precious time. ill shut up now.
    Actually I was hoping for quite the opposite. You have given us so little info to go on I was hoping you would talk more. This is a discussion so participate. I am a big fan of informed consent so if you read that novel and it made sense but you still want to go ahead then let's talk planning. If you are still diving after those bikes take the kz, it's the less useless of the two. But know you aren't building a 50's styled Brit cafe out of it - welcome to the superbike era, look up who Eddie Lawson is and try to resist painting it kawasaki green with white and blue stripes.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    I think you should go buy a new triumph thruxton and forget this old jap bike nonsense. You'll be happier. Maybe find a used one. Finance it if you have to, Credit unions give great finance rates.
    Triumph are made in Thailand, FYI

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    As an 'investment' the Kawasaki wins hands down simply because it's a bigger motor, but, with 4 of most parts will cost more if anything needs replacing (plus, shim under bucket means servicing is a lot more expensive, even at 5,000 mile intervals)
    If shims haven't been done, they can burn out exhaust valves (not common as Kawasaki uses a real wide clearance for standard set up, around 0.012" compared to 0.0015" on Suzuki GS550)
    CB360's are small fun bikes and the reliability issues can be fixed pretty easy, all the information on engine mods is simple to find.
    The main down side of 360's, they are small fun bikes, (it would look like a mini bike with Geeto on it - hell, CB750 looks like a mini bike with him on it )
    360 can very easily be made a 300lbs bike with 100+mph 'performance' (it's relative, my 380's can do about 120 but are real slow for last 10mph)
    550 won't need constant tinkering but either will probably end up costing $5~$8,000 if you keep them long enough and end up building 'your' bike'
    I've done a lot of work on both bikes over the years, Kawasaki was almost all servicing, Honda always much more involved. If you never intend to ride more than 200 miles a day 360 works fine
    Last edited by crazypj; 03-11-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Quote Originally Posted by ctype123 View Post
    I dont think it's the made in japan part thats the problem, it's the OLD part that warrants thought.

I'd love a new bonneville tbh, if we weren't saving for a house deposit right now i'd already have one. Thruxton for me is a bit meh. The seat cowl just looks pants and tbh there's so many aftermarket parts for bonnies, i'd rather just get a standard one and 'customise'.
    Ignorance Is Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by ctype123 View Post
    That's not exactly true.

Some are made there and some are made in England. Depends on the model and destination market.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Actually I was hoping for quite the opposite. You have given us so little info to go on I was hoping you would talk more. This is a discussion so participate. I am a big fan of informed consent so if you read that novel and it made sense but you still want to go ahead then let's talk planning. If you are still diving after those bikes take the kz, it's the less useless of the two. But know you aren't building a 50's styled Brit cafe out of it - welcome to the superbike era, look up who Eddie Lawson is and try to resist painting it kawasaki green with white and blue stripes.
    well i have an allocated 5000 (the price of a 2007 thruxton if this goes south) dollars to a project for me to work on over the summer. i have a veteran mechanic (car) that can assist at any time and i just want something i can build with my hands. my ultimate goal is to restore an old 80s M3 and id like to start somewhere when it comes to the mechanical inner workings of a motorized vehicle. i know cars. and as you can tell, i do NOT know about motorcycles when it comes to what has stood the test of time and all of that. i am an engineer college grad so i am savvy (at least i hope i am), and willing to learn what i need to know. i dont mind not having it as a commuter as i already have a car. i live in the north east so half the year its snowing so it would be a bike for the summer/fall time on the weekends so it doesnt have to be completely dependable. as for cafe. i want something thats not very fast, i have never been a speed demon and highways even in my mini cooper scare me so i wont be going on them on a bike thats for sure. i just want something with a little pep in its guts and can handle well. and the cafe style appeals to me. the riding position, pedigree and how brutally simple they can get. (again not some hipster fuck) i actually want to bring life to something with my own hands without having to eventually send it to college if you get what i mean.

for those two choices listed. they were the only two bikes that are near me that i could procure that were from that era. maybe i need some pointers on how to search deeper. i dont know. but basically i could take the easy way out and buy a new bike but i would then need something else to build. im itching to create something man. cubicle life is so sterile.

As a unrepentant old motorcycle tinkerer and a former e30 vert and former e34 m5 owner - I can tell you the only skill that translates is righty tighty, lefty loosey (in most cases). Even how you plan something like paint is different just due to the size of different vehicles.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

well the M3 build is a looooong ways away but id like to start riding again, it was fun when i used to do it and id like to do it again whether its on something i put effort into or one i put no effort into. and seeing as to how i have a summer with nothing to do, i figured i would try a building project with these itchy building hands. again, thank you for taking the time to tell this newbie about what he is getting into.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links