Is this a good starting point?
Close

This is a discussion on Is this a good starting point? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey, I am a university student with no money, but would like to build my own cafe racer. A friend is selling a 1981 Honda ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hey,

I am a university student with no money, but would like to build my own cafe racer. A friend is selling a 1981 Honda Cm400t for $1000, it runs well and is completely stock. I will be the first to admit it is not the prettiest or fastest bike, but I think it could potentially make a good base to build my first cafe racer. I was just wondering if anyone agrees with me, or if anyone out there has any advice that would steer me away from this bike. I would greatly appreciate any feedback about this bike and potential build.

Cheers

Fuck, just Fuck......

So you have no money....big shock, no one dose.
    And you found a honda hawk....another big shock....
    And let me guess, for the last 3 years you have know how into the whole cafe racer thing you have always been?

Remember when someone told you that there are no stupid questions? well they lied.
    This is one of those stupid questions.

Here is why
    Clearly you have a perverted view of what a cafe racer is. If you actually knew then you wouldnt have to ask what is or isnt a good base for it.
    If someone asked if a corvette would make a good baja racer they would get the same reaction. The questions tells the people you are asking how little you know and how far off base you are already.

In an attempt to help here are the more important things to ask and figure out.
    -does the dam thing run 100% right now. Can you jump on it and ride where ever you want when ever you want? You want a yes answer here.

after that it doesnt matter.

Dont modifiy anything.
    just ride the fucking thing.

A "potential build" should not even be something you are thinking about. at all, for a long time.

Any old bike will give you plenty of chances to mend it. Dont make work for the sake of work.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

This bike would be nothing more than something for you to teach yourself how to maintain, not a cafe racer. Which is not a bad thing. I would look for something unmolested and something that works fine. I don't doubt that you would not be satisfied with any 70's 0r 80's bike that is running nicely and all original. I do however know that you will be have nothing but issues if you buy someone else's unfinished project.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Forget motorcycles. Esp if you are broke and live in Canada, I hear your insurance can only be described as rape-y when talking about cost.

instead go be a real college student, take recreational drugs, try to consensually hump anything that remotely shows interest (including inanimate objects), and generally experiment with your real artistic side by painting, making music, writing, sculpting, photography (you know the traditional art mediums). Go to parties, have orgies, listen to metal. forget motorcycles.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

WOW! Just realized you are in Ottawa, there are tons of bikes for sale near you and I on kijiji. I have seen a decent cb360t and a if you drove down to Trenton you could pick this beauty up. I would but I don't have the time money or space for another project.

Name:  $_20.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  123.3 KB

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-image.ht...ationFlag=true
    Last edited by Harvey; 05-08-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Is that 1000$ certified ? and have you priced out insurance ?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    WOW! Just realized you are in Ottawa, there are tons of bikes for sale near you and I on kijiji. I have seen a decent cb360t and a if you drove down to Trenton you could pick this beauty up. I would but I don't have the time money or space for another project.

Name:  $_20.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  123.3 KB

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-image.ht...ationFlag=true
    …he can't afford that, it's 3600$ plus tax & before insurance, plus you will notice it has no license plate on it now.

I pay 40 bucs a month for my cb500 and I am young and do not have a full M license. If you factor in the amount you would spend converting a cm400t into a cafe racer this 750 is well worth the price. Provided everything works and it has good compression.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I pay 40 bucs a month for my cb500 and I am young and do not have a full M license. If you factor in the amount you would spend converting a cm400t into a cafe racer this 750 is well worth the price. Provided everything works and it has good compression.

Then he should take a picture of this bike into the insurance people and ask for a quote on it too.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Fuck, just Fuck......

So you have no money....big shock, no one dose.
    And you found a honda hawk....another big shock....
    And let me guess, for the last 3 years you have know how into the whole cafe racer thing you have always been?

Remember when someone told you that there are no stupid questions? well they lied.
    This is one of those stupid questions.

Here is why
    Clearly you have a perverted view of what a cafe racer is. If you actually knew then you wouldnt have to ask what is or isnt a good base for it.
    If someone asked if a corvette would make a good baja racer they would get the same reaction. The questions tells the people you are asking how little you know and how far off base you are already.

In an attempt to help here are the more important things to ask and figure out.
    -does the dam thing run 100% right now. Can you jump on it and ride where ever you want when ever you want? You want a yes answer here.

after that it doesnt matter.

Dont modifiy anything.
    just ride the fucking thing.

A "potential build" should not even be something you are thinking about. at all, for a long time.

Any old bike will give you plenty of chances to mend it. Dont make work for the sake of work.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule and informing me of my misguided perception of what buying/riding a motorcycle is all about. Your message was endearing, so thank you again.

One day you will mean that
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links