FJ1200 clutch basket rattle
Close

This is a discussion on FJ1200 clutch basket rattle within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; OK - just got a new project bike in the garage (for flipping). It's a 93 FJ12 which amongst other things (mainly cosmetic) has a ...

OK - just got a new project bike in the garage (for flipping). It's a 93 FJ12 which amongst other things (mainly cosmetic) has a clutch basket rattle at low revs.

Anyone fixed one of these? I'm assuming it's the same as the old GS Suzis where you grind off the welds / split the basket / replace cush springs / re-weld and go.

I haven't pull the basket out as yet - just fishing for some info before I get my hands dirty.

Hands on advice only please - I can theorise about it in my own mind for all of us.....

If the noise stops at idle speeds with the clutch pulled in, in neutral, it might not be the clutch making the noise. It might be the jackshaft chain.

If it's whirring or squeaking noise combined with the rattle, it's probably the clutch.

You have the jackshaft chain, it's rubber damped drive, a starter clutch or chain to consider as possible sources of noise.

If the jackshaft damper has hard or worn out rubbers in it, even in a motor with all brand new chains, it may cause things to rattle.

I must have seen hundreds of Kawa Z-1 and Suzuki GS/GSX clutches getting new damper springs fitted, I can't remember any FJ11/12s getting done. That could tell you the clutch basket springs may well not be the rattle's cause.

I assume, but don't know for sure, you can service the FJ12 jackshaft chain without splitting the cases like total junk designs like Honda's CBX750/CB750/Nighthawk that require it. I did a CBX750 jackshaft chain/bearings/seal replacement once: what a joke, needed to split the cases and a big strange rare jackbolt/puller to do the job.

It's like doing bird impersonations in text trying to diagnose motor rattles on blogs.

Danger, is my business.

Hi hillsy. The clutch on the CB750 dohc that I'm currently working on was very noisey, until I started to balance the carbs.
    Although the carbs still need some work the clutch rattle is significantly reduced.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Yeah - thanks Steveo. I've had a few GS's in my time that I've had the baskets re-built and whilst the carb sync does help quieten them down they will still rattle if you lower the idle under 1200 rpm or so. New cush springs is the fix for them, and the FJ manual trouble shooting section tells me to look for broken cush springs (and to "replace" the basket if so....). It looks like it's the same set-up as the GS basket, so I'm guessing it should be re-buildable in the same manner.

The FJ's are also prone to having a noisy starter chain (which requires the cases to be split to replace) but it's another one of those things that goes away once you raise the idle over 1K.

Anyway, the rattle is gone when the clutch is pulled in so all things are pointing towards the basket - and the noise is definitely coming from the clutch area so we'll see what it looks like when I get a chance to break it open. And I still have to clean / sync the carbs and check the shims so we've got some work to do.

By the way - still keen to hear if anyones actually re-built an FJ clutch basket.

Bob Dog??

Sponsored Links