XJ550R front end replacement - brakes.
Close

This is a discussion on XJ550R front end replacement - brakes. within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi All. since i was not very happy with my XJ550R front brake capabilities, i have decided it is time to improve the entire front ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi All.
    since i was not very happy with my XJ550R front brake capabilities, i have decided it is time to improve the entire front end.
    i bought a new model Yamaha R6 front end including the triple tree, suspensions, clipons, master cylinder and calipers.
    i would like to keep the original XJ550 wheel and i know i will probably have to make some bushings for it.

my question is - are there any floating rotor disks that will fit the XJ550's front wheel?
    what is the bolt pattern to look for?
    i saw that the wheel have rotor mounting holes on both sides, so dual disk brakes are in order.
    what rotors should i look for in order to work with the R6 calipers? if i wont find the right radius, i can make an adapter to relocate the calipers.

any help and advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Raviv.

YOu will, likely have to make adapter plates to mount the rotors to the wheels to space the rotors out, since the forks will be wider than the original. If I were doing this exercise, I would use the R6 rotors for the front end you plan to use. That will avoid needing to space the calipers out to a different radius. The R6 wheel is probably wider than the XJ hub where the rotor would mount, so here's how I would go about finding my starting point for my spacers:
    1. Figure out my axle, first. I am sure the XJ axle is smaller than the R6, so where the axle enters the wheel will need to be smaller than where it clamps to the forks. This makes my head hurt, and I will let you figure that out by yourself.. You have the machining expertise to do that, I am sure.
    2. Assemble the front end, calipers plumbed and bled, with the rotors unbolted to the wheel.
    3. Insert the rotors between the brake pads where they would ride, if they were connected to the wheel.
    4. Squeeze the brake lever and use a zip tie to lock it down.
    5. Now you can measure the offset to the hub on each side...hopefully they will be the same. They should be, I would think. This gives you the thickness that the spacers need to be.
    6. You will need to figure out the bolt pattern to mount the spacer to the hub, and drill and counter bore the holes to accept bolts that will be flush when mounted.
    7. Another bolt pattern of drilled and tapped holes needs to be made to bolt the rotors to the spacer

That's just how I would do it. Someone else may have a different method.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Hi 8Ball , these are some good suggestions.
    i wonder what route should i take -
    1. use the XJ550 rotors (EBC have a floating ones for it), these will bolt on directly into the wheel, and then move the calipers (inwards at both axis) to accept these rotors.
    2. use the R6 rotors, and manufacture an adapter that will bolt into the wheel (with the XJ bolt pattern), and will have the proper offset and outward bolt pattern to accept the R6 rotors and placing them inside the calipers. (generally - 8Ball great suggestion)
    i wonder what will be the more efficient and correct way to go, looking at parameters like unsprung weight, durability and safety.

unfortunately, using the R6 wheel is not an option since the bike is licensed with a 19" front wheel, and the R6 is 17" ... i will not be able to pass the needed DMV test.

did anyone made a similar conversion? would sure love to see some pics or information.
    now i need to decide if i buy a set of XJ550 rotors or R6 rotors...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

What version R6 front end did you acquire? The 1st and 2nd generations had conventional forks and the way the calipers bolted on, would allow you to fab a plate that could relocate the position radially, and move them inboard. The 3rd generation (and the 2005) models, with inverted forks, have radial mounted calipers, that can easily adjust for a larger disc, but not so easily moved inboard, and not for a smaller diameter disc.

.... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

it is the 3rd generation R6 front end (inverted).
    the R6 front rotors are 310mm, the XJs are 298mm.
    do you think or know if i can get a 310mm rotors with the XJ's bolt pattern ?

Name:  R6Frontend.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  252.5 KB

No idea. I think that would require reaching out to someone like EBC, directly.

My GS550 Build Thread

already done that, haven't heard from them yet... will probably give them a call tomorrow..
    thanks a lot for the great suggestions

I think the FZR600 discs may work. I will be able to check in the next couple of weeks when I get back to my bikes. I have an XJ wheel and FZR discs sitting around somewhere in the garage.

I think somewhere on this site:
    The FZR Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

or this site:
    ? Index page

There is a listing of Yamaha compatible discs.

I am too busy to look for it right now.

I also believe that you can get the right wheel bearings with the OD to match the XJ wheel and the right ID to match the R6 axle. The R-6 bearing may fit the XJ wheel. I have done that on most of my front end wheel swaps.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Maybe this is too late, but the bigger Seca front end would have worked. My XJ550R had dual-disc, but I got it that way so I don't have all of the details on how they got it to go. The fork bottom doesn't normally have a mounting boss for the caliper so I would guess that they took the forks, too.
    Dictated but not read.

kenessex,
    you are the man, thank you for the information... if you can look around your shop and provide some insights based on experience, it will be fantastic!
    will look into the FZR rotors.

dielectric,
    my SECA came with a single rotor, but are some additional caliper mounting holes on the other leg...
    the wheel have rotors mounting holes on both sides, currently there is a plastic cover on the side that is not in use , i need to take it off and have a look.
    The R6 front is on its way, and i am set on using it... i know it wont be as simple as bolt on, but this is what its all about.

meanwhile, i got some information from EBC, which were great...
    Name:  ebc.JPG
Views: 736
Size:  117.4 KB
    Last edited by Ravivos; 12-16-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links