73 Honda cb500 bad transmission - Page 2
Close

73 Honda cb500 bad transmission

This is a discussion on 73 Honda cb500 bad transmission within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Actually the OP hasent really offered any information to help him. dont know if he means he tries to shift into gear while the engine ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 73 Honda cb500 bad transmission

  1. #11
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,438
    Actually the OP hasent really offered any information to help him.
    dont know if he means he tries to shift into gear while the engine is running and nothing happens, or gears crash. Don't even know if he knows how things should work. Maybe he just flat doesn't know how to use a clutch!
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  2. #12
    abe
    abe is offline
    Junior Member abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9
    You're right, I was a bit fixated on the problem being the shifter mechanism. My bike hasn't run in over a decade, so I wanted to replace all the gaskets, clutch plates, clutch springs, and cables anyways.

    Best regards,
    Abe

  3. #13
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,438
    What does that mean?
    Normally when the story starts with "wanting to replace all the gaskets" ends in a CL add for a bike in a box
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    abe
    abe is offline
    Junior Member abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9
    I ride regularly. When I have the engine running, and I try to change gear, nothing happens. No whining, no meshing, just nothing.

  6. #15
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,438
    Does the lever move?
    Does the position of the clutch lever make a difference?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  7. #16
    abe
    abe is offline
    Junior Member abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9
    The lever moves, but it won't go the last quarter inch(with engine running). Depressing clutch had no effect. The bike only shifts when it's not running.

  8. #17
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,438
    You have a manual right?
    Maybe its time to make a local friend.
    Kinda hard when you failed to fill in your bio/profile......

    Stuff like this doesn't get fixed online.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  9. #18
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,277
    Quote Originally Posted by abe View Post
    My bike hasn't run in over a decade, so I wanted to replace all the gaskets, clutch plates, clutch springs, and cables anyways.

    Best regards,
    Abe
    probably smart to replace the service items like cables, fluids, and filters since with age those def go bad and are wear items anyway, but the gaskets? Is the bike leaking or weeping oil? If not don't touch it, you'll just make more problems for yourself.

    You are are now in the trouble shooting phase. Don't just throw parts at something, learn how it is bad and how to fix it. For instance your clutch is a wet clutch which means if it isn't warped or glazed or both then it should be ok to use. Take the clutch plates out (using the manual for guidance since the clutch spring bolts have a torque spec and an order they need to go back in) inspect, measure, then report back. Do you know how to check if a steel plate is warped? You place it on a piece of glass and try to get a feeler gauge under it. Also look for discoloration on the plate from excessive heat.

    Everone has already said the same suggestion, so now inspect the parts and see if the are right.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

  10. #19
    abe
    abe is offline
    Junior Member abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    probably smart to replace the service items like cables, fluids, and filters since with age those def go bad and are wear items anyway, but the gaskets? Is the bike leaking or weeping oil? If not don't touch it, you'll just make more problems for yourself.

    You are are now in the trouble shooting phase. Don't just throw parts at something, learn how it is bad and how to fix it. For instance your clutch is a wet clutch which means if it isn't warped or glazed or both then it should be ok to use. Take the clutch plates out (using the manual for guidance since the clutch spring bolts have a torque spec and an order they need to go back in) inspect, measure, then report back. Do you know how to check if a steel plate is warped? You place it on a piece of glass and try to get a feeler gauge under it. Also look for discoloration on the plate from excessive heat.

    Everone has already said the same suggestion, so now inspect the parts and see if the are right.
    Thanks for the advice, also almost all the engine covers have a minor leak. Probably wouldn't cause any problems if I carried a bottle of oil around.

  11. #20
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,277
    Quote Originally Posted by abe View Post
    Thanks for the advice, also almost all the engine covers have a minor leak. Probably wouldn't cause any problems if I carried a bottle of oil around.
    Leaking is a different story, of course you want to fix leaks. Most newbies when they talk about gaskets talk about doing all the gaskets including head and base gaskets, and often in trying to do those they just make a leak worse.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Another Honda CB500 project
    By Harvey in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 166
    Last Post: 08-21-2014, 03:19 PM
  2. 73 honda cb500 carbs
    By rickmtka in forum Technical
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2012, 04:21 PM
  3. 1972 Honda CB500
    By DrewWalden in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 05:51 PM
  4. Honda CB500 T build
    By ajordan in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 09:16 PM
  5. Honda CB500 Build
    By gnomer43 in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 09:36 AM

Search tags for this page

honda cb500 engine to buy in houston tx

,

honda cb500 four transmission

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread