73 Honda cb500 bad transmission
Close

This is a discussion on 73 Honda cb500 bad transmission within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Noob thread So, I've had my 73 cb500 (first bike) for about a year now. Just got my engine running, only to find that the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 73 Honda cb500 bad transmission

abe

Noob thread

So, I've had my 73 cb500 (first bike) for about a year now. Just got my engine running, only to find that the transmission is bad. So after a bit of reading, I learned that the shifting drum is the Achilles heel of my little cb. I also learned that Honda fixed this problem with the shifter in their new model, the 74 cb550. I'm tempted to buy a complete engine from a cb550, but I don't know how hard it is to swap.
    Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,
    Abe

What leads you to believe that the transmission is bad?

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

abe
    I haven't actually torn it apart yet, but it won't let me shift into gear. I feel like if I tried any harder, id break the shift lever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Will it shift with the clutch lever pulled engine off??

abe
    Yes, so it's not the shifting mechanism?

clutch plates are probably stuck or sticking. Alternately the cable may be insanely out of adjustment.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

abe
    Ok, I'll pull the clutch basket out tomorrow. Glad to know my little cb might still have some life left in it.

If you put the bike on it's centrestand and rock the back wheel with your hand whilst shifting the gear lever you should be able to move into all the gears.

If that checks out then it's clutch related.
    MK3Brent likes this.

You will get the furthest by describing your symptoms and test you have done so far in detail. Rather than assuming too much.
    You got good pointers so follow up and describe what you did and what was the outcome.
    -

If you are going to work on motorcycles....

stop op using the term "torn apart". It's a stupid term used by people who read too many chopper mags and motorcycle TV shows. Once you learn in what is involved in putting something together you won't use the term torn apart so flippantly. Seems like a bit of a nitpick, but really this is about mentality. You don't know what you are doing so you are trying to be causal about it so it doesn't show. Come to terms with your I expirence and be open and honest, there is no shame in being new at something but there is plenty of it in trying to hide it by being casual or flippant.

learn to NOT assume or jump to conclusions. You can make an educated guess about stuff but part of making educated guesses is performing tests and inspecting things. Always have an open mind because if you get locked into thinking it's one thing and then it turns out it isn't that thing you are going to feel deflated and not know where to go instead of seeing the upside that you ruled something out.

Learn diagnostic procedures. Every service manual has a trouble shooting guide, so learn to walk throught those procedures. You may need to look at several different service manuals to see the guide you need so be prepared to do reasearch. Don't just rush to Internet forums and thing Google is going to do the research for you, there is as much misinformation as there is good information and only an experienced person can kind of sort it out.

always give as much detail as you can when asking for technical help. This includes make, model, year, symptoms, whether the bike is a running riding motorcyce or whether it has been sitting (running means running perfectly by the way, not it will pop fart and stumble).

Always know what tools you need and service items you need before you start. In the case of your clutch cover at the very least you need a fresh gasket, do you have it? You may need a clutch, are you prepared to drop $150 on new parts if it comes out that way? Think before you project.

regarding your current issue, pop your clutch cover off and have a look at the plates and fibers. You are going to want to know what glazing of a fiber plate looks like and what scoring or warping of a steel looks like. Do research on that.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links