1970 CL100 Cafe Project - Bore Information? - Page 2
Close

1970 CL100 Cafe Project - Bore Information?

This is a discussion on 1970 CL100 Cafe Project - Bore Information? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by There is no way in hell of reaming a CL100 rod to oversize, like zero, zippo or ziltch. [I Danger, is[/I] my ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1970 CL100 Cafe Project - Bore Information?

Quote Originally Posted by There is no way in hell of reaming a CL100 rod to oversize, like zero, zippo or ziltch.

[I
    Danger, is[/I] my business."
    100 and 125 heads are the same size with the exception of bigger combustion area on the 125....interchangable. 125 piston will fit with 125 head..........no machining.......besides displacement. 125 rod, Powroll rod, or a Powroll stroker rod, etc. A 125 rod with a 750 piston will yield 150......I believe but not sure.

A lot of work for maybe 18 hp with exhaust

It doesn't matter.
    The OP already took it apart.
    roccitycafe likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by CNorthness View Post
    … If I'm going to take it all apart to hone it and replace the ring then I might as well add some displacement...
    Sorry CNorthness, but that makes no sense. It's like saying; if I'm going to service this ancient engine that no longer has access to OEM replacement parts, I might as well re-engineer it and replace everything with over-sized and mix-matched pieces while I'm in there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

you're going to bore it to solve compression problems that you say may or may not exist? also when your first post stated that everything seemed straightforward except the engine??? nope... nope nope... don't put a wrench to that engine, you'll ruin it with that mindset.

put everything back together and learn to maintain the bike, or you'll be selling the whole garage full of boxes of bike in a few years.

Ive been down the rabbit hole of making a Honda single faster.
    On paper it can be done.
    And if racing another stock bike it will be faster.

But other then that there is zero point.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

how many projects do we see where someone who's never been into an engine before decides they have what it takes to go frankensteining the thing??? the kid probably doesn't even own a dial caliper, let alone what it's going to take to do this surgery... argh... another one bites the dust

I get what you are all saying and agree with most of it. It will still be a small cc Honda and the OP doesn't know a lot, but that doesn't make it impossible. There are a ton of people messing with Honda single motors and chinese clones. Trouble is that few if any of them hang out here.

Start searching for Honda 100 pistons and pit bikes and TBoltUSA

Took me 2 seconds to find a stock type replacement piston CB100 | SL100 | CL100 | XL100 Piston Kit

There are forums full of guys playing with similar bikes if you do the research. Finding parts that will work in your motor is not as easy as for modern motors but the information and possibly parts are out there, but you will have to do the work to find it. Good luck - life is one long learning experience. Enjoy the journey.

oldrice.com has some old articles about hopping these things up.

I agree that doing a big bore isn't the worst idea.
    But the OP needs to understand what he is getting into, and be realistic about the outcome.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Give me $3.5K = 90MPH+

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Danger, is my business."

Hmmm... Interesting. Thanks for the links and such.

But! It's decided. It's getting cafe'd! It's been a dream for far too long to keep stock. Hmmm... Interesting indeed. Sure, It's not a racer. But a cafe- commuter is appealing to me. Just for a first time full build, you know?

I understand that I'm inexperienced in this sort of work. But my main interest is learning. I've been in and out of cars my whole life, so I figured I'd try my hand at some motorcycle science. Thanks for those of you that understand that it can be done. That's my goal. I understand that it's hard, weird, and generally dumb work, but being that it CAN be done, I'm just looking for info. Thank you for the links and such. Any more support would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links