1970 CL100 Cafe Project - Bore Information? - Page 3
Close

1970 CL100 Cafe Project - Bore Information?

This is a discussion on 1970 CL100 Cafe Project - Bore Information? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Buy a Skyteam ACE 125 tank and seat. I think the only thing you will learn is bikes cost real money, and hotting up a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1970 CL100 Cafe Project - Bore Information?

Buy a Skyteam ACE 125 tank and seat.

Name:  CB125N cafe $_57.jpg
Views: 3185
Size:  479.6 KB

I think the only thing you will learn is bikes cost real money, and hotting up a bike is beyond you meagre skills.

Danger, is my business."

That's exactly the point. I won't learn unless I try this sort of thing. I bought the bike for next to nothing and have plenty of room to lose out. I'm paying for the learning experience. Whatever time and money I throw at this will be for learning's sake. Thank you for all the technical support. I believe a 125 from the same era uses the same mounts and all, correct? Just as an afterthought for an option B, given I muck this up horribly.

But! As far as style, I don't know if this is cafe sacrilege, but I plan on fabricating a hoop for the rear of the bike and welding it on to replace the forked back end, then building myself a long, flat brat seat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CNorthness View Post
    But! As far as style, I don't know if this is cafe sacrilege, but I plan on fabricating a hoop for the rear of the bike and welding it on to replace the forked back end, then building myself a long, flat brat seat.
    Well you don't need a long flat brat seat on a bike that puts out about 9 BHP.

Unless you plan on having a relationship with a blow up woman... Who you gonna haul?

Danger, is my business."
    monkey likes this.

That's exactly the point. I won't learn unless I try this sort of thing. I bought the bike for next to nothing and have plenty of room to lose out. I'm paying for the learning experience. Whatever time and money I throw at this will be for learning's sake. Thank you for all the technical support. I believe a 125 from the same era uses the same mounts and all, correct? Just as an afterthought for an option B, given I muck this up horribly.
    The 125 motor fits straight in.

Danger, is my business."

There is no cafe racer style.
    you are talking about choppers.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

The best hot options are:
    XL185 (actually 180cc) or XR200 (actually 190cc) crank and the cylinder+head from either. The cases need machining which means splitting. Its not a huge deal as its a simple bike. They can be further bored to true 200cc or even over. I think the 190 would be plenty.
    Then get roller bearing cam (webcamshaft I think) and titanium valvetrain components. You naturally need the camchain with tensioner from XL185/xr200. Naturally carb (there is a mikuni pumper version of the 28 that might work perfectly with a hot engine. Naturally after proper tuning). Oh and the newer heads are for CDI ignition, not points so there is that. The stators are different. othrwise you could use cb360 stator to go 12V with better output but the CDI is an issue. Maybe you'll just design a transistor system of your own...

So it all can be done. And you will get 18+ hp, maybe even 20+ if everything is done well and right. It will cost you maybe $1000-$1500. That right there is your answer. If you are not doing it because of the tinkering and challenge itself its absolutely pointless. No sense at all.

You could fit a full (early) xr200 motor (do they have light coil, not sure) or chinese pushrod honda knockoff engine. Its still a lot of work for questionable goal.
    -

you are failing in the 1st lesson my man. I mean this kindly. You are failing to hear what people are saying. Get the bike working as well sock 1st is the smartest thing to do. If that is not enough after a few hundred miles (you will notice that the suspension and frame are also scooteresque) sell it (if you kept it stock, its worth decent money well sorted out) and buy something else.
    -

I own, and have owned a few of these Honda singles.
    Been down the "make it less slow" and all that before. Personally I now just prefer them stock. I view them as best in this role.
    BUT completely understand the desire to learn and just generally make something out of random parts. In that respect these bikes are great for that.
    They are small, parts are easy to get and cheap. Honda made millions of these things. I would rather see someone learn to mix and match junk on one of these then blow apart a 4 cylinder and drown.
    The idea should always be fun.

But dont brush off what people are saying by using the cop out " ill learn it myself". If that was the case then you would not be on the internet seeking out help, you would be in the garage doing something. So take some advice and you will have a leg up.

That motor that kerosene was talking about might be something fun for you to build.
    What I would do is service the shit out of the bike you have and ride the wheels off it. While doing that find a spare motor and build it up.
    You will then be wrenching on a fun project AND riding the bike. Then one weekend swap the motors. Another thing you gain with this is a good baseline.
    the 18hp of the new motor will still feel slow, unless you have been riding around for a while with 11hp.....

And we do still need to talk about how bad these bikes are at "cafe racer" builds.
    The motors HATE to run with short pipes or pods. Rearsets are hard to mount. ect ect
    Play to a bikes strengths. "racing" aint it.

Here is mine

Bought it with 1100 miles from the original owner's family. I use it to run out for beer (that rack is epic), pick up parts and just general running around.
    It is a blast. Have run it out on the beach, and taken it though the woods. Just a nice bike to have around.
    monkey likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Thanks, Jaguar. Likely the best post on the thread thus far. Over the last few days I think I've come to the same conclusion. I'm going to inspect the cylinder walls for any damage, and if all is well, put it back together and build something to swap. Yes, everyone: Build another gutless motor to make less-slow (very well said, Jaguar). Again, money can buy a racer or a buildable platform. But this is all for knowledge.

Brat seat because I think they look bad ass.

I'm not raking any forks or trying to find any chrome, chainlink ape hangers; So nah. Not choppers.

But! I'm fond of the hot motor described by kerosene. Any other useful technical suggestions?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links