CB360T Engine build
Close

CB360T Engine build

This is a discussion on CB360T Engine build within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I am about to strip my '75 cb360T down and rebuild it into cafe style. I would like to know of any and all performance ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CB360T Engine build

I am about to strip my '75 cb360T down and rebuild it into cafe style. I would like to know of any and all performance parts available for this engine. i have done a little bit of research and it seems that there are only a few mods available. I was kinda hoping to get some tips and tricks from some of you who are more experienced with this. any and all replys would be appreciated!

How strong are the stock parts for this engine. i heard it had some bad reviews back in its day. could it handle additional hp? and some relatively hard riding? thanks

find MikeO on this forum...he's raced one and stands behind it no matter what Tex says.

tt

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

about 10 different people rode mikes bike. including myself. it was pretty fast. hes already covered what he did in one of the pages here. if you search say, cb360....you might find it. why would you want a fatter tire. a 130 already looks pretty huge on them.

jc

see "cb360t racebike" under the vintage racing heading. mike covers it there.

jc

I am agreeing with Joe on this one. I would not go any bigger than a 130 on the rear. You should go to at least a WM3 (2.15) rim o handle that. The easiest way to get the rim is to transplant a dirt bike wheel with an alloy rim in there. I think the rear off an XL350 is wm3 and cheap off ebay. Other than that start with carbs and a pipe and see if you really want anything else. By the way, pick up a parts bike and a spare engine or two, you will want them.
    Ken

AHRMA 412
    Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

I only found one post by mikeo refering to this topic and found the website for megacycle he mentioned. There is a "road race" cam there that they say needs modified pistons and springs. I searched the web for about 30 minutes and couldnt find any aftermarket pistons. Is it too expensive to have pistons custom made? i would like to start getting this engine rebuilt in a few weeks and im starting to get anxious because of all the research that is involved.

For a street bike I'd stay away from the cam and pistons for now. Spend that money on making the bike lighter and you'll go faster, stop faster, turn quicker...and the engine will still be realiable and affordable.
    Custom pistons can be had in sets of four for about $600...but that's not the problem....you'd be talking 6 months of research and shop work to determine just what would be "custom" about the pistons. In general you can't just go to a piston maker and say I want custom pistons for a 360T, you have to have all the specs and measurements, ring sizes, dome height, compression height, wristpin size, bore size, valve pocket size and depth and you have to make a cast of the combustion chamber in most cases.
    I've done this about ten times...not for a 360 though. And if you spec something out wrong...you have $600 paper weights.

Knocking 30-40 lbs off the bike will give you more performance than the cam and pistons would anyway. Like the boys say...carbs, pipes, ignition and light weight bits would be the place to start.
    JohnnyB

i agree with jb! get it light and tight, make it pretty, and then worry about cams, pistons, valves and springs. i hope your not planning to drag race this bike for pink slips.....cause if you are, get a cb350. i don't have anything against a cb360, other than i don't think a fully modified one would beat a fully modified 350 in a race. i think having a six speed gearbox is cool. i think a cafe 360 would be a great project. just don't tell me that mike's old cb360 could beat a buff harsh/todd henning/chris marshall spec cb350 roadracer.

tex "i'm not bitter" mawby

"bitches!"

Tex....a six speed is HUGE on the race track though. All things being equal that extra gear would probably knock two seconds off the lap times of someone that knew how to use it.
    Boy if I had an extra gear to use out of 2, 3 and 6 I could easily go a second or two faster.
    But nahh...you'll never see the HP out of a 360T that you'd get from a worked 350....mainly just because the parts are not out there and the research hasn't been done to make them.
    JohnnyB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links