Scored some old school Performance Machine discs for CB750
Close

This is a discussion on Scored some old school Performance Machine discs for CB750 within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; At least that is what we think they are. I haven't found a name on them yet. Got 2 front discs and a rear on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

At least that is what we think they are. I haven't found a name on them yet. Got 2 front discs and a rear on a set of Comstar wheels. Obviously they are not made of stainless

Name:  20150719_141953.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  75.1 KB
    Whitworth - The whole Western World economy runs on total lies and BS: I'm a part of the action.

Very cool!
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

whats going on with the holes on the disc on the bottom? it looks like they were drilled partially over the edge of the disc or that the disc was worn down on the outside to expose the holes... is there a reason behind this?
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    whats going on with the holes on the disc on the bottom? it looks like they were drilled partially over the edge of the disc or that the disc was worn down on the outside to expose the holes... is there a reason behind this?
    At a guess I would say someone has machined down the outside of the disc after it was drilled to suit whatever fork / caliper combo.

They often do it to reduce weight or maybe even to increase the surface area for air cooling. It even might assist dirt being flung off on dirt bike discs. Some brands of current aftermarket discs are like that. The pads don't run right out there, so it's not a braking function concern.

Danger, is my business."

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    At a guess I would say someone has machined down the outside of the disc after it was drilled to suit whatever fork / caliper combo.
    that makes sense... however what impact, in conjunction with the drilled holes, would this have on the structural stability of the disc? it seems you're greatly multiplying the chances for cracks and fractures to occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

that makes sense... however what impact, in conjunction with the drilled holes, would this have on the structural stability of the disc? it seems you're greatly multiplying the chances for cracks and fractures to occur.
    If slots and holes were a serious stress riser in discs, the factories wouldn't do it. They are not an issue.

Danger, is my business."

These may even have have the hole cast in, like real race cars. I haven't done much research on them yet. A friend had a similar set market PM
    Whitworth - The whole Western World economy runs on total lies and BS: I'm a part of the action.

If you're talking about the outer semi-circled "holes" which are there as a result of the disc being machined down, then they shouldn't pose a risk of cracking the disc.

In fact, you can pretty much cut any shape hole into a disc as long as the corners are radius-ed (IE: no sharp corners / edges).

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    If slots and holes were a serious stress riser in discs, the factories wouldn't do it. They are not an issue.

Danger, is my business."
    I have seen failures on racebikes with home drilled discs, but then again I have actually built and maintained and raced race bikes.
    Here is what 15 seconds on the Google showed:

Looks like the holes might be stress risers after all.
    I also know why brake discs are drilled, not just some speculation on the possible reasons.

Ken
    Last edited by kenessex; 07-20-2015 at 01:09 AM.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links