Need advice, 1980 Honda Hawk 400
Close

This is a discussion on Need advice, 1980 Honda Hawk 400 within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys, New here, I apologize in advance if this is a redundant type of posting around here and for my lack of knowledge. Anyway, ...

Hey guys,

New here, I apologize in advance if this is a redundant type of posting around here and for my lack of knowledge. Anyway, I’m looking at buying a new bike, I started riding just this spring and have been riding around the city on a Honda Rebel 250. I’m looking to upgrade and have been curious about cafe style bikes. I like the look and sound of them, I have never tired one though. I was looking around on Kijiji and found a 1980 Honda Hawk 400 with 30,000 kilometers (I’m Canadian) with a “new battery” and the asking price is $1,300 (Canadian). There wasn’t any more info on the add, might get in touch with the guy to ask him some generic questions about condition, etc. But, I have no experience with buying a motorcycle or this model of bike. I wanted to see what you guys think, if there are any specific questions to ask about regarding the Hawk in particular or when buying a bike. I’m doing some re search on this site about the Hawk and just wanted to see if you guys think this could be a fun bike for a newb who is willing to learn or if I should just steer clear. Thanks, here’s a pic of the bike...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You already have a beginner bike in the rebel, why do you need another?

Also, yikes! Stay away.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Welcome.

No, not this model, and certainly not this poorly modified and functionally dysfunctional example.

Don't buy it, don't ride it and certainly don't bother gazing at the other amateur builds of this same model on the idiot build clickbator web sites.

There are far better bikes to dream about or covet.

Stick around and find out what.

Danger, is my business."

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The Honda Hawk 400 is a perfectly respectable bike. That being said you are going to want to avoid paying for something that was modified by an amateur like the one pictured. If the current owner put those pod air filters on it, it hasn't run right since, though it may have been modified like that several owners ago and every new sucker scratches their head and wonders why this old bike doesn't run right.

The 400 and 450 of this era are not in demand. Keep your eyes opened and you can find one that some adult owned and rode about 100 miles during the 4 weeks of riding season you get up there, and otherwise just polished it with a diaper and kept it in a climate controlled garage.
    Whitworth - The whole Western World economy runs on total lies and BS: I'm a part of the action.

Look how the helmet is just laying on the ground........to me a telling sight.

I always felt a proper....and perhaps a thorough introduction in the new members area is helpful for yourself and others contributing their advice.

With that said and at face value......I would run away from the honda like someone chasing you with a knife contaminated with ebola blood.

Guys, thank you. Given the advice on here I plan to keep looking for another bike. I also plan to stick around here to learn more. thanks.

Sponsored Links