82 nighthawk 650 front end swap
Close

This is a discussion on 82 nighthawk 650 front end swap within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys I need some help. I have a 1982 honda nighthawk 650. The front end is shot. Rusty blown and dry rot seals, just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 82 nighthawk 650 front end swap

Hey guys I need some help. I have a 1982 honda nighthawk 650. The front end is shot. Rusty blown and dry rot seals, just all beat up. My question is will a 1987 cbr 600 front end fit by swapping it out at the neck? Or what other bikes will fit?

All balls racing has a chart of which of their tapered bearing sets will fit what fork. But that does not guarantee the stem will be the correct length or the offset of the trees will be correct or the legs themselves the correct length.

Take your "shot" forks to a good shop, hand them all your money and tell them to make the bionic...they can be rebuilt. Better than before.
    thechief86 likes this.

The CBR front end will probably bolt straight in depending on the length of thDon't forget that steering stems can be lengthened or shortened as needed. It is very easy machine work. The last one I had done by the local machine shop cost $30.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Don't you need to worry about the size of the axle too, or are you changing out the front wheel and brakes with it?

Both bikes originally ran angular contact ball bearings in the steering head, so I would think you are going to want to convert them to taper bearings while you are at it.
    Want to bet those 28 year old used forks need servicing too! This is going to be one very expensive fork service, please post pictures so we can watch.

I will defenitly post pics. But I was told the fork seals are good and it's a complete front end. I'm looking for any front end that can bolt right on if anyone knows of any that would fit?

100% bolt right on would likely mean 100% same model.

As mentioned the factors are:
    bearings
    stem length
    fork length
    axle
    triple tree offset

You are going to have to do your own homework and help us help you. When you were asked if you were going to swap the front wheel too (or if the axle diameter and possible spacer issues need to be covered) you answered " it's a complete front end". ????

Have the seller measure the length. That is the very 1st step. Triple offset is probably different which mean you might bang onto your tank.

So are you going to use the cbr wheel or not?

And the seller tells you the near 30 yr old part is good and you take it at face value?

-

Let me tell you a little something about owning motorcycles: Your front forks are one of those things you don't ever want to have to replace. They are freaking expensive.
    The parts pictured below are the first parts to wear out, and most likely the only thing wrong with your original forks. That and the original oil that is probably still in them.

The forks you are entertaining buying probably need these same parts by now, particularly if the original owner failed to change out the oil frequently.

Yea I've rebuilt forks for my dirtbikes. And by complete front end I mean forks triple clamps wheel brakes head light everything. And the old cbr was just one that he had at the moment. The upper rubes on my existing forks are all banged up with gauges,rust and pitting, meaning they are no god and have to be replaced anyways.plus I think the look of the anadized forks will really set it off. I have a machinist to do any adjustments but I want to get it as close as possible from the start.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-07-20-18-43-29.png
Views: 846
Size:  856.9 KB something like this for the end result

Now you've done it...
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links