CB 360 Front suspension mods?
Close

This is a discussion on CB 360 Front suspension mods? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys me again, Wanted to know your thoughts on making my front forks perform better in the canyon/Twisty back roads. I replaced the oil ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 8ball

Thread: CB 360 Front suspension mods?

Hey guys me again, Wanted to know your thoughts on making my front forks perform better in the canyon/Twisty back roads. I replaced the oil in the forks is all I have done so far. The front end seems really soft. I searched on here of guys saying to do progressive springs and fork brace. Is that about it? Can I do more? I really don't want to do a fork swap. I would like to get the most out of what I have.

Race Tech emulators. They make the compression damping adjustable, and you adjust the rebound with the oil viscosity. Very worthwhile investment. If your forks are 35mm, MikesXS makes some that are basically the same just cheaper, but if they are smaller, I don't know if he makes them for your size. As far as springs, straight rate springs are easier to set up for sag/preload, and are more predictable. That being said, the set I have in my GS are Progressive, because I had them lying around. If I didn't I would have gotten a straight rate set.

So, stiffer springs, a fork brace, and emulators. That's all you need. well, maybe better rear shocks. Springs, brace, emulators and shocks...that's it.. OK, Tapered steering stem bearings, stiffer springs, fork brace, emulators and shocks. That's all you need. I forgot about tires! Tires, springs, fork brace, emulators, shocks, tapered steering stem bearings that should do it! Oh wait, all the extra stress that the suspension and tire upgrades will allow, you probably should look into replacing or upgrading the swing arm bushings. Hell, while your at it, there's probably something you can do to strengthen the swingarm, or replace it with a stronger one....

....welcome to the rabbit hole, my friend!!
    TrialsRider and thechief86 like this.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Kinda divey on the front end, aren't they
    that happens when weight exceeds suspension and wiggle is present by design, then amplified by age.
    Nothing that thousands of dollars in parts and man hours can't fix.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

New springs will do the most for the least $$$. Your 40 year old OEM springs are not only tired and saggy, they are dated as far as material and spring rates go.

And go with a specific fork oil, not ATF.

If you still have the front fender on a fork brace shouldn't be necessary.

I don't have a front fender. What fork braces are you guys using? And does a cb360 come with tapered bearings or is that aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by kolb02 View Post
    I would like to get the most out of what I have.
    How refreshing is that statement.

I don't have much to add.....8ball, hillsy got it covered. Just wanted to say it's cool or "cafe" that your improving your machines characteristics without out of period GSXR forks or something. Race Tech made a massive difference...well worth the money.....in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by kolb02 View Post
    I don't have a front fender. What fork braces are you guys using? And does a cb360 come with tapered bearings or is that aftermarket?
    The stock front fender acts as a fork brace. Your bike is going to wallow like shit without it. No idea what's available as an aftermarket brace for one though....

Stock bearings are ball and race, tapered are aftermarket and better all round (google All Balls Racing).

Pretty sure those bikes had weak forks to begin with, like 33mm tubes. I know you don't want to do a fork swap but the easiest thing in the world to upgrade the whole thing at once (brakes too) would be to use something like a CB650 35mm front fork with the single disc and modern style caliper. I haven't looked it up, but I would bet there is a bearing that makes the stem a direct drop into your frame.
    Whitworth - The whole Western World economy runs on total lies and BS: I'm a part of the action.

There are plenty of guys winning races with the stock 33mm forks on CB350s. The same forks as the CB360. They will work fine on the street. I would also work on the front brake set up. First read the FAQ on those brakes. Install a stainless braided brake line and new pads. I like to reverse the fork legs so the caliper is then mounted behind the fork leg rather than in front it has a lot of theoretical advantages in that location, but I felt that it worked better, too, in practice. Just note that you will have to drill out the rivets holding the fender to the fork brace and reverse it, too.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Very few motorcycles come equipped with taper bearings in the steering head as stock equipment. Any bike that was built with economy in mind, will have marginal quality, angular contact ball bearings fitted. Taper bearings are on the scale of two and a half to three times the cost and load capability.

In other words, they are so much better at transferring load to the frame, that once fitted, other weaknesses will become more apparent including flex in everything else.

Sponsored Links