tubeless spoke wheel mods?
Close

This is a discussion on tubeless spoke wheel mods? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Just curious if anyone out there has any experience running spoke wheels tubeless. Methods used would be nice. Maybe it's a dumb idea for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just curious if anyone out there has any experience running spoke wheels tubeless. Methods used would be nice. Maybe it's a dumb idea for a street bike?

Only on the rear of Trials bikes :I

One big advantage is that you can dispose of rim locks, which are both weighty and troublesome.
    Variations on the tubeless rim design have evolved away from through holes, because they require a big fat rubber seal over the spoke nipples, which is both weighty and troublesome.

Keep in mind tubeless and tube wheels have a different profile of the bead area. Likewise with the tire bead being different. My Kimtabs are a tube type wheel that I converted to tubeless. It doesn't seem to want to hold air after sitting awhile. I think I may have to put a tube back in.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I've seen some supermoto guys using some fancy silicone caulking combined with gorilla tape. I can't imagine it's heavier than a tube.

I'm definitely more worried about the rim profile not holding the bead to the rim. So far in my experience mounting a tubeless tire with a tube was far more difficult not only to mount but to remove the tire as well. I just can't imagine one easily breaking a bead and tearing loose from the rim. I also have no experience with giving it a shot either so I'm proceeding with caution.

You can't run tubeless tires on a tube type rim, not without taking a razor blade to the bead first anyway. You'll probably never get the tire to completely seat in at least one spot.
    Tube tires on a tubeless rim will flop loose around on there and never hold air.

It's the rim lock or rim locks that weigh a lot and impose an imbalance on the wheel and rust and make it a pain to change tires and bottom out the rim if you happen to hit the tire hard where they are.
    Some will tell you to just use sheet metal screws drilled through the rim instead, if you are into cheap and dirty fixes that might work.

I ride a one ply radial tubeless on one of my bikes, it's one ply because it can be made almost a full pound lighter then a two ply version of the same tire.

There are, of course, tubeless-type wire-spoke rims. The majority of the aftermarket ones are mainly for choppers, and have some super-exotic spoke setups. But the OEM ones have a tall center flange, which the spokes hook through, and nipples located the hub. The three I bikes I know of that come (came) with this type of setup are the Honda CMX450C Rebel, the V-Strom 650 (I think just the XT adventure version?), and the Yamaha 225 Serow (back wheel only).

Name:  Honda CMX 450 Rebel.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  40.7 KB
    Name:  web-wheelKWP_3182.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  24.8 KB
    Name:  2012-03-02113620.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  173.2 KB
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 09-01-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    You can't run tubeless tires on a tube type rim, not without taking a razor blade to the bead first anyway. You'll probably never get the tire to completely seat in at least one spot.
    Tube tires on a tubeless rim will flop loose around on there and never hold air.

It's the rim lock or rim locks that weigh a lot and impose an imbalance on the wheel and rust and make it a pain to change tires and bottom out the rim if you happen to hit the tire hard where they are.
    Some will tell you to just use sheet metal screws drilled through the rim instead, if you are into cheap and dirty fixes that might work.

I ride a one ply radial tubeless on one of my bikes, it's one ply because it can be made almost a full pound lighter then a two ply version of the same tire.
    I think there are quite a few people that would argue otherwise about a tubeless tire on a tube rim. Myself included. It can be a beast to seat right, but it's doable and I have yet to need a razorblade. Not trying to argue, just curious why you think it can't be done?

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN AWESOME View Post
    I think there are quite a few people that would argue otherwise about a tubeless tire on a tube rim. Myself included. It can be a beast to seat right, but it's doable and I have yet to need a razorblade. Not trying to argue, just curious why you think it can't be done?

I used to get cast off soft compound tubeless trials tires from the modern riders and try to use them up on my vintage trials bikes. Yes you can stretch them on and you can also damage them while doing it, I never had the balls to take a 2 ply radial much over 100psi when I was mounting them, I didn't want to loose an appendage, so I trimmed the rubber. ymmv

Lots of guys did the same, you could often see them running with a big wobble in the tread.
    not a big deal at 15 mph, not so good at 100mph

It is a beast to seat because it is the wrong size for the wire that is embedded in the tire bead. How many wire strands did you break in yours when you put it on too big of a rim?
    Did you still mount a rim lock and how did that work out for you? or did you need one with the tire on that tight? Did you use a bias or radial type tube? Ever sheered off a valve stem, I have it sucks, you can't patch a sheered off valve stem. so many ways to screw up when you mix and match, and ultimately, you are probably trying to mount tires that are so much better then the original ones, now your bike is going to start to exhibit all of it's other weaknesses.

I say go for it, but you'll wish you had them on tubeless type aluminum rims by the time you get them mounted anyway.

lol some times your nipples are in the middle of the spokes, which sounds like a scary place to put your nipples, but it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links