74 cb350 four swingarm options. Looking for longer. - Page 2
Close

74 cb350 four swingarm options. Looking for longer.

This is a discussion on 74 cb350 four swingarm options. Looking for longer. within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Messed around in solidworks for a few weeks before I even said id think about doing it. got things as close as possible with the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 74 cb350 four swingarm options. Looking for longer.

Messed around in solidworks for a few weeks before I even said id think about doing it. got things as close as possible with the longer wheelbase taken into account. I tried to get him to change his mind, but that didn't go over to well. Made him sign a liability waver before anything was changed.

Also if you read the comments previously, I never said I was going to fabricate a new swingarm. I was asking if it were possible to swap a swingarm on to the stock frame without much modification. It was a question before the decision was actually made to do so. I made numerous phone calls to a few of my friends who were in the same engineering program as I was at Michigan tech. Two of which work in the industry. If it would have been a drastic change it would have been a no go. The axle was pushed back a total of 2.05 inches. very similar to the stock swingarm I cut two years ago and extended. I have modified a swingarm for a personal bike before and it was a very slight change in handling characteristics. Nothing drastic at all over the 18k that I put on it before selling it. I do have enough skill in the engineering and componentry development field, but in all reality I just had a few questions when it came down to simple swaps as I have never used a boxed swingarm from an existing bike. I was looking for a compatible fork that would allow for the stock axle to be used if at all possible. Ended up calling a guy by the name of Hido Takada in Minneapolis who from what I have been told used to work for Honda north America. Anyway long story short, there were swingarms that would nearly drop right in, but some machining was required. the stock axle wouldn't work either so the hub and drum needed a bit of Bridgeport work. new spacers, linkages, and everything bolted in without any issues. The bike was finished in april and hasn't had any issues. I do know that there is some risk involved, but it wasn't an excessive stretch like you would see on most modern sport bikes

Old Nail likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Umm...yeah...this.

Name:  elmer.gif
Views: 323
Size:  127.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by photoputz83 View Post
    Also if you read the comments previously, I never said I was going to fabricate a new swingarm. I was asking if it were possible to swap a swingarm on to the stock frame without much modification. It was a question before the decision was actually made to do so. I made numerous phone calls to a few of my friends who were in the same engineering program as I was at Michigan tech. Two of which work in the industry. If it would have been a drastic change it would have been a no go. The axle was pushed back a total of 2.05 inches. very similar to the stock swingarm I cut two years ago and extended. I have modified a swingarm for a personal bike before and it was a very slight change in handling characteristics. Nothing drastic at all over the 18k that I put on it before selling it. I do have enough skill in the engineering and componentry development field, but in all reality I just had a few questions when it came down to simple swaps as I have never used a boxed swingarm from an existing bike. I was looking for a compatible fork that would allow for the stock axle to be used if at all possible. Ended up calling a guy by the name of Hido Takada in Minneapolis who from what I have been told used to work for Honda north America. Anyway long story short, there were swingarms that would nearly drop right in, but some machining was required. the stock axle wouldn't work either so the hub and drum needed a bit of Bridgeport work. new spacers, linkages, and everything bolted in without any issues. The bike was finished in april and hasn't had any issues. I do know that there is some risk involved, but it wasn't an excessive stretch like you would see on most modern sport bikes
    You know if you added a few pictures with this post might have gone a long way towards quieting the nay sayers.

There's quite a few folks that have lengthened the swingarm on their vintage race bikes. And the handling has actually improved. They must have been wrong too.

Not saying it's a bad idea...I haven't seen the math....what is a bad idea is doing it for someone else without liability insurance or a clue as to what you are actually doing.

Liability waver only covers simple negligence, it won't cover Gross negligence. And without due diligence in the design of a custom swing arm, it might fall into this category if someone gets hurt with one of your custom items. You can't sign away some rights whether you signed a waiver or not.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

You guys are a bunch of yahoos. I am gonna stick up for a local cheesehead and agree with Craig. Why you might ask? Because he is right, that is why!!! How do you know you might ask? Because the swingarm on my CB350 racebike was extended by 2" and it had the desired effect. It put some more weight on the front end and made the bike more stable through high speed(a relative term for a cb350) sweepers, like the carousel at Grattan, for instance. The swingarm was lengthened and braced by Framecrafters. Also with CB350 racebikes some people put an SL350 swingarm on them because it is longer. Anybody wanna guess how much longer? That is right, 2"!!! You guys don't know crap, except how to tell people it won't work and somebody is going to die and the builder is gonna get sued and it is gross negligence and if you have to ask you can't do it and then you throw up some stupid meme that you think makes you look clever but the reality is that it only reinforces your circle jerk friends to keep piling on like a bunch of 5th grade wanna be bullies.

So, OP, why don't you stop by around Christmas time, when I will be back at my garage, and I can show you my extended and braced 350 swingarm. My bikes live about 30 minutes from you. We will laugh, drink a beer and take some pics of my racebikes, a selection of swingarms and stuff and see if we can get some armchair engineers, lawyers and racers to pee their pants a little bit. I am 8 miles north of Menomonie off state hwy 25.
    Stephen J likes this.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    You guys are a bunch of yahoos. I am gonna stick up for a local cheesehead and agree with Craig. Why you might ask? Because he is right, that is why!!! How do you know you might ask? Because the swingarm on my CB350 racebike was extended by 2" and it had the desired effect. It put some more weight on the front end and made the bike more stable through high speed(a relative term for a cb350) sweepers, like the carousel at Grattan, for instance. The swingarm was lengthened and braced by Framecrafters. Also with CB350 racebikes some people put an SL350 swingarm on them because it is longer. Anybody wanna guess how much longer? That is right, 2"!!! You guys don't know crap, except how to tell people it won't work and somebody is going to die and the builder is gonna get sued and it is gross negligence and if you have to ask you can't do it and then you throw up some stupid meme that you think makes you look clever but the reality is that it only reinforces your circle jerk friends to keep piling on like a bunch of 5th grade wanna be bullies.

So, OP, why don't you stop by around Christmas time, when I will be back at my garage, and I can show you my extended and braced 350 swingarm. My bikes live about 30 minutes from you. We will laugh, drink a beer and take some pics of my racebikes, a selection of swingarms and stuff and see if we can get some armchair engineers, lawyers and racers to pee their pants a little bit. I am 8 miles north of Menomonie off state hwy 25.
    I hope you weren't referring to anything I said because I never advised him on anything about the swing arm. I merely stated some legalese when people bring up liability wavers. In many cases they mean jack. Contain your comments to those who are bad mouthing the lengthening of the arm.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Oh Yeah, says who!!! I'll spread my comments wherever I feel like it. If the shoe fits... Plus this is the internet, not reality. I was working up a good rant and you know those can never be directed at a single target, you have to spread it around and see what sticks. It isn't like I care very much about any of this, I am just entertaining myself. I had hoped that I was so over the top that the sarcasm was readily identifiable. Of course, I have been to Dawsonville so maybe I expected too much? However, as with any worthwhile rant there has to be at least a small kernel of truth, in this case it is lighten up, there are many valid reasons for wanting a different length swingarm and not all of them are stupid or dangerous.

And, everybody should know that liability waivers aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I must have signed hundreds of those things over the years racing and if I got killed my family could still sue all kinds of people and win something if there was negligence.
    Joep7 likes this.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links