wire feed
Close

wire feed

This is a discussion on wire feed within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Anybody here have any experiance with the 110 amp gasless wire feed welders, like Craftsman or similar? I've about run out of patience with an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wire feed

FR

wire feed

Anybody here have any experiance with the 110 amp gasless wire feed welders, like Craftsman or similar? I've about run out of patience with an old cheap Italian made mig welder that I've been using. It seems to have it's good days, and then the next time I want to use it it won't ground properly, or the wire feed gets stuck or some other thing...
    Anyway, I don't want to waste money on a cheap new welder if they don't work well, about all I use it for is motorcycle frames or similar size steel. I can't spring for a new Miller.

FR

FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

Get one of the Lincoln SP100 wire feeders...runs on 110...great little welder, I've had one for years and abused the hell out of it.
    JohnnyB

My opinion is worth listening to, even though I am so retarded that I post twice!

Edited by - ROSKO on Nov 07 2006 12:00:51 AM

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

FR, First off, why gasless? You'll always get more versaltility from a gasser...

Get a little Miller 130 or 175 and some good ol' C20. Cheap and delivered to your door: www.cyberweld.com

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
    www.NYCvinMoto.com
    www.VinMoto.org

Rosko. Not to start a welder war...but I've had three lincolns and two millers...both the Millers have broken. I still have the Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG, it's works great...but I've had a $500 circuit board burn out on it twice. First time was 3 months out of warranty and they wouldn't cover it.
    However...both my millers are/were over ten years old by now. And I've never had a Miller wire feeder. I can say the lincolns are tough as nails and take a ton of abuse.
    I agree about the gas...almost all the little Lincolns (and I assume Miller too) will take a "gas kit" for just a little extra...often included already.
    Reverse the polarity and you can run either flux core wire (gasless) or solid (gas) wire.
    By the way...the Miller TIG hasn't burned out another board in the last eight years....so it might have been a problem with some first run boards or something.
    JohnnyB

Good to see that you can read the screen!

I may just lean toward miller since it was the first decent welder I ever used. I've never had any problems w/ the little MIGs or the synchrowaves BUT every machine I've had or used was probably less than 10 years old. When comparing used vs. new the warranty is always a big factor. Now that I think about it ALL the ancient, massive, scratch-start TIGs I've used were Licolns. Built to last. Back when it was HELIARC welding.

FR, Also had a Hobart MIG (135?) that was a real workhorse.

Wait... aren't all these companies owned by the same monster corporation now anyway? Kinda ruins the whole 'brand loyalty' thing. Same machine in each color. So, FR you prefer blue, red or tan? Oh, and ESAB yellow.

(ESAB makes a sweet little MIG/TIG/STICK one peice unit....)

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
    www.NYCvinMoto.com
    www.VinMoto.org

FR
    So I'm not sure about the difference in versatility between gasless and gas, what's the deal? Does gas give you a wider range of material or something?
    If I could get into one of the gas welders for under $300 I'd prolly do it.
    I wasn't psyched to see that Lincoln was tarting their welders with Nascar stickers now. Don't know if I could have that in my garage.
    I do like Yellow...

FR

buddy of mine bought a lincoln 110 mig wire feed (with gas kit) and it was cheap and really gets the job done. I love that little machine.

If I could afford it I would buy a MIG and TIG but I already have all my welding money invested in oxy-acetelene and still do it the old fashoned way (like my father and the radiator shop taught me). Now where did I put those wire coat hangers......

got the lincoln too. with gas. great .

FR
    I tried Oxy welding in the welding class, it was pretty cool, but I could tell it would take lots of practice. I wish I had the time/means to learn that, but the only other problem is I'd probably burn the garage down. It's a small shop, filled with shit that loves to burn, and I'm a little too absent minded...
    BOOM!

FR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links