Guys I fucked up but I'm going in.
Close

This is a discussion on Guys I fucked up but I'm going in. within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So as the title states, I made a bad choice looking at a picture and deciding "hey im a mechanic, i know how to fix ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Guys I fucked up but I'm going in.

So as the title states, I made a bad choice looking at a picture and deciding "hey im a mechanic, i know how to fix things and build stuff. why not build this bike together and just slap on some things." so i bought a bike and couple of things, and thought i could slap it together. later down the road i find that things are not looking as simple. there are so many different mechanical problems, angles, geometry, and even the technicality of the bike building alone is immense. however i wanted to build a bike that works mechanically and looks great as well. i wanted to be proud of building a bike that i saw as an image and make it work out. (stupid of me)

by now your probably thinking what a dumbass i am and probably thinking why not build something that is a blank slate and go from there like a r6..... i should of done that but i was eager and foolish to start a project. i had no idea how much greater it was going to be so i rushed it and got my hands on a bike.... well one that was bent and crashed after 10,000 miles. (this story is getting worse) i bought a frame and now i disassembled everything from the previous bike and saved it in baggies and wrote down the parts. (i find that its all scrap metal now)+
    i bought more parts for the bike and the front end should be coming in the mail soon. but there are big issues i have to discuss and i hope you guys can chime in and help me solve this issue.

since im building this bike up from ground i want to redesign and build the ultimate cb750 i had ideas of implementing the bmw adjustable shock design but so far i am less worried about that. but for now i want to make the geometry suspension as well as the alignment and everything else perfect. the whole rear section of the bike is going to be completely redesigned. (such a big waste of time, could of built a stock ducati instead) but im still going to try and solve alot of the problems this bike has and make the form of the bike to follow the functionality. the rear monoshock swing arm as well as the frame isnt one of the best ideal ways to make things. the swing arm it self is immensely heavy, and were talking about a huge mass with the biggest bolt going through holding it in. bigger than the stock cb750 (i measured it). the whole swing arm itself is so big that comparing the stock swing arm were looking at a tiny piece of toothpicks to a big brick. the mass of the swing arm is immense and might add weight to the rear. (not sure how much) but holding that in place is even more of a bitcg. the bolt holding it for a stock ducati is huge also it bolts directly to the engine (somtimes) and the shock is able to contain the force and the force is able to be distributed along the bike without disrupting too much. for this model it holds onto the frame. so the frame structure has to be able to contain the force of the bike going up. generally leading to a very beefy and overly reinforced frame.

even the frame of the bike at the very core of it is terrible and it doesnt hold that much rigidity. the strength is so terrible i heard when riding high speed the bike seat starts dancing, (thats why people who have cafe racers and most images seen show the hand position is very rested and looks like hes playing the piano). THE SEAT FUCKING DANCES! it shifts and twerks and all that shifting. which i do not want. the headset on the bike i heard is also terrible and very flimsy.

overall im going to be redesigning this whole frame and reinforce certain areas. the whole upper area of the bike is going to get reinforced as well as it leading to the rear tail and rear sections. i talked with a local shop that could help as well as see how far we could push this thing. we are going to cnc machine parts! as well as copy somethings and try reproduce it.

this is a very stupid of me project but im going to try and solve all the issues with the best of my ability. it is a test to how far i can produce a fully designed motorcycle. half gsxr1300 front end with a old piece of shit honda engine and a ducati rear end.

theres soo much things i want to type, vent, talk, etc. and im eager to learn so much more you guys have to offer to me. im trying my best to make the best of the best, out of shits and giggles so bear with my stupidity. that aside any info would be great upon your knowledge of this cb750f supersport bike as well as racing them. any which way to upgrade or do any suggestions and comments would be great! in return ill try and post things online so you guys can see and comment on. funding would also be lovely =D (jokes) but i am going to build this bike and learn how terrible of a mistake it was but also learn so much out of it. a mistake is a mistake but atleast im going to learn every last detail up to the very metal alloy in the bolts of this bike which i dont mind and would love to learn to fix them.

stay tuned!

phillip!

This can't be real.
    BigAl8295 likes this.

Name:  IMG_0002.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  2.19 MBName:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  2.47 MBName:  IMG_0563.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  2.35 MBName:  IMG_0016.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  2.48 MBName:  IMG_0592.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  2.38 MBName:  IMG_0593.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  1.88 MB

so far this is where i am at but soon the rear section is going to be fabricated!
    Last edited by CantcM3; 10-18-2016 at 11:29 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Shit - it is real.

Contact this guy:

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/gener...-finished.html

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    This can't be real.
    the craziest thing is i wont be altering the dimensions of the bike too much. just the design. but the overall length is increased by 1 inch from the stock cb750f as well as the width is widen, the front fork angles should be adjusted by the rear. so once the rear falls in place i could adjust the front angles (maybe, not too sure) but overall the bike should be capable of handling high speed corners really well. the foot pegs would be pushed back a bit to adjust seating angle but the weight would be centered similarly.

I AM DEEPLY GREATFULL! thanks alot! i just pmed him!
    Last edited by CantcM3; 10-18-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CantcM3 View Post
    the craziest thing is i wont be altering the dimensions of the bike too much. just the design.
    You're shortening the forks, the swingarm is longer, the wheels are smaller (well, the front at least) and the tyres are different widths / profiles. The way the bike sits on it's wheels will also depend on where and how you mount the rear shock.

Other than that, I guess you might be right

hmm i read that the angle was highly considered into play. i also read that j-rod had his set at 90* which gave him more strength to push the force in it of itself, instead of going into the backbone of the frame. can you elaborate which might be best to mount this upper bracket for the rear shock? should the angle be adjustable? if the backbone of the bike is strengthened, could i give more of a slacked angle for a more direct forced feedback? would that be for the better or worse? in suspension design what would be some major rules and theories i could follow?

sorry for the bombardment but hopefully i could learn something new.

the problem will just be the spindly bit in the middle.
    TrialsRider likes this.

I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    That's superb.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links