Cafe Racer Forum banner

one more exhaust question

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  xander450 
#1 ·
a buddy of mine is trying to figure out how to quiet down his cb450. he has tt pipes that are wide open and so loud i can hear him a quarter mile from my house. he bought a set of small metal baffles that you set in with a screw but he claimed it made little to no difference. what are his options other than mufflers?

...connoisseur of slack...

#2 ·
I'll expound a bit - I'm the friend in question.

I'm well familiar with the backpressure issue (although more theoretically than in practice - in fact my bike runs like the dickens with wide open pipes), but it's not the problem I'm trying to solve. This thing is loud - not loud like midlife crisis loud - loud like Germans invading Poland loud. Trouble is, I've moved to a lovely town full of hippies, yoga classes, farmer's markets... I wouldn't make it half a mile before I was beaten with daisies and hung by hemp rope from the nearest tree.

So here are my thoughts: 8" universal baffles would fit in the end of these pipes - I could wrap with glass and hope for the best, but how much of an effect can I expect this to have? Alternatively, I'd love to have some pipes made to extend from my tt's up and around my rear tire at 30' or so to which I could mount some proper (albeit short) mufflers. Any pipe builders in the community? I'm comfortable doing most mechanical work myself, but metal fabricator I'm not.

Other options?

Alex

#3 ·
Alex,
You have a couple of good options there in town. Check with Motorcycle Performance on University Ave or there is a shop on 51 just north of the beltline on the east side of the road( I forget the name) that can probably help you out with fabrication and ideas.
Routing the pipes from where the TTs end out the side to some mufflers shouldn't be too tough. You will really enjoy the roads out west of town towards Black Earth and Dodgeville. I graduated from UW in 81 and my sister still lives in Stoughton. It is great motorcycling territory. You need to take in the races at Road America and Blackhawk Farms. If you are not new to the state only Madison, then you probably already know all this.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

#4 ·
first of all the germans never invaded poland...they were invited, punch was served - check with poland.

(that is only really funny if you watch family guy and not meant to insuinate that WWII never happened)

it seems to me that you will not get any kind of noise dampening effect without glass packing of some sort. You could try a set of cheapie cherry bomb car mufflers which are basically straight through with glass packed around them. should mellow the bike some. The other option I can think of is a supertrap like setup. You can probably beg branson (oh and paying him helps too) to roll you a set of straight through megs with the supertrap ends. I don't think either will have an effect on your backpressure.

That being said unless you have some work done or at least a good carb rejetting I have yet to see a honda that ran better with straight pipes than factory mufflers.

Edited by - Geeto67 on Mar 03 2007 9:35:35 PM

#5 ·
The 450 is just a loud bike, even with the stock pipes it'll set off car alarms. Get a set of cheap JC whitney megs with the reverse cone, it'll do pretty well for the price. Or go supertrapp, but don't expect it to get much quieter! If your bike 'goes like the dickens' now just wait till you give it some backpressure!

The absolute best thing you can do for yourself and your bike is find some other loonies in your area who suffer the same affliction:
www.MilVinMoto.com I know Milwaukee ain't too close but they do host some great events...

like M2M.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

#6 ·
Sorry for the slow reply.

Yep, I re-jetted... I wouldn't go tinkering with my exhaust without the corresponding carb work.

Mounting mufflers isn't too much of an issue if I had the room to do it, but that requires that I bring the exhaust around and up the side of the rear tire - no room underneath. That's the bit where I'm deficient - as I said, welder I'm not. If someone around here fabricates exhausts, I'd happily send along a model and some cash to have some extensions bent.

Thanks for all the advice on Wisconsin - I've only been up here for six months and I work constantly, so actually I have no idea what's going on in the two wheeled scene. As for the commentary about finding a good group of loons - no doubt you're right, although the result, as snorkel can attest, is typically that I wind up building engines for random people when I ought to be workin on my own machine. :)

A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.