Spring start up?
Close

Spring start up?

This is a discussion on Spring start up? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Well it's getting close and I'm going to squeeze every ridable day out of this year I can so the bike needs a roll out. ...

Spring start up?

Well it's getting close and I'm going to squeeze every ridable day out of this year I can so the bike needs a roll out. My battery was on a maintainer, fuel treatment was added and it was stored 10 feet behind my couch. I'm thinkin tire pressure, chain tension, fluid levels, brake and light check, general visual and then a short test ride. For those of you with that horrible season that limits bike riding what do you do as a spring check up before heading down the road. Soon as the ice is off the driveway I'm out.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

lol I bet it's snowing there right now.

jcw
    I worry about condensation in the crankcase sitting in a damp garage and will change the oil and filter just on principle.
    Of course, that said, I haven't yet done it and I've been out a handful of times already.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Snowed here today.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    lol I bet it's snowing there right now.
    Well yea it is... or was, now it's raining. I'm shootin for April 1st unless we get a warm week. Haa warm for a week rigggghhht. Name:  roflmao.gif
Views: 57
Size:  129.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    I worry about condensation in the crankcase sitting in a damp garage and will change the oil and filter just on principle.
    Of course, that said, I haven't yet done it and I've been out a handful of times already.
    I store this one in the house at about 60 so I'm figurin I'm ok there. I put semi synthetic in about 5k ago. Not sure when to change it out.

How old or what shade of clear is your brake fluid? (and possibly clutch hydraulics fluid)

One thing I do before riding on roads that still might have salt on them is to seal the finish on the rims. Tung oil works really good for that, any decent car polish is probably a reasonable substitute.

I think mine might be due for an oil and filter change and maybe a chain adjustment, then maybe you'll see me out there on the local roads somewhere.

It was 71 here yesterday and will be the same today. I'm gonna pull the Ducati out, hit the starter button, and let it warm up. Then ride to the gas station, get air in the tires and ride to CCC. Then do the same with the Honda.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    How old or what shade of clear is your brake fluid? (and possibly clutch hydraulics fluid)

One thing I do before riding on roads that still might have salt on them is to seal the finish on the rims. Tung oil works really good for that, any decent car polish is probably a reasonable substitute.

I think mine might be due for an oil and filter change and maybe a chain adjustment, then maybe you'll see me out there on the local roads somewhere.
    I'll check the fluids. Tough to say when and what was done. I put 7000 km on it since I purchased it and changed the oil and filter 5000 ago. I was having chain tension issues at the end of the year. Don't know if it was a newer chain stretching or an older one dying. The deceleration pop and spit I mentioned last year is still there but I'm not even sure that's an issue. I have a tendency to obsess a bit and was told by Dick Wilson a mechanic/friend of mine that my best tune up would be a better helmet. I do want to stay on top of real issues. By the way the "Dick Wilson Memorial" races are coming back to Woodstock. Haven't seen the line up but I love some good flat trackin. Perhaps that would be a ride worthy event.

I check tire pressures and then ride, unless it is a racebike.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Sponsored Links