FCB tech ?'s
Close

FCB tech ?'s

This is a discussion on FCB tech ?'s within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a few questions for the FCB'ers here: -for those who run Johnny's trapp set-up... How many plates do you run? -anyone else running ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FCB tech ?'s

FCB tech ?'s

I have a few questions for the FCB'ers here:

-for those who run Johnny's trapp set-up... How many plates do you run?

-anyone else running a 2-1?

-what gearing are people [email protected] NHIS?

-valve gap?

Muchos gracias!

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
    www.NYCvinMoto.com
    www.VinMoto.org

16/33 i think for gearing. it will depend on how fast you are though. but a stocker can and should pull 16/33. also, i find it depends on where youre comfortable with making speed. since nhis is kinda technical and small, i personally like more grunt, especially out of the final corner and t2, going up the hill, out of the bowl etc. to me i like to gear for drive out of those corners as opposed to trying to make top speed at the stripe.

i ran a 2-1 mac style setup for the first few years. made by tom at delux works in california. he doesnt do them anymore. it seemed to make good power, but the real plus is that it was nice and quiet.

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

I run 15/36 at NHIS.

jc - Do you use all five speeds with that gearing? That's lower than I use at Mosport...

Craig

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

wow. chris said he used to run 16/33 i think but hardly ever touched 5th at nhis. just for a quick second. but thats the gearing he ran at daytona unless there was a tailwind. but yeah, thats what i run. i cant believe you can run that gearing especially with being able to, probably im guessing, pull another 2k on the clock. that thing i bet feels like it pulls stumps! i just set up my gearing for 16/33 which is one tooth shorter in the rear than what i was running. it might be a little long for louden, but im hoping its good for summit. i did order a 34 and also have a 17 front and a 36 rear. but that gearing seems to get me off the line pretty good, and im hoping it'll not seem so short for summit. (which i feel like my gearing is a little)

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

you know, now that i think about it, youre gearing is probably pretty close. since you can rev an extra 2k, and its giving you plenty of ooomph out of the corners. remember im running a stocker.

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

I run 15/38 at NHIS...can go 12k rpm if I have too.

Ok...here's the deal on gearing...and yes I'll claim to know what I'm talking about on this topic.

You ALWAYS...at any track, using fixed gearbox ratios....want to be geared so you just kiss your rpm redline at the fastest part of the track.
    You NEVER want to NOT use top gear at ANY track. If you are not using top gear you are effectively giving away a gear to your competitors, you have just changed your five speed into a four speed.

You'll note that the fast guys have a selection of sprokets hung on their trailer wall, and notes on which gearing to run at what track.

NHIS is a "short" track, a "slow" track. It's the shortest gearing I run anywhere. I'll go to 16/38 at Mosport and Beaver Run, NHIS gearing at Shannonville short track.

At Loudon you want to be close to red line at 2/3 the way down the front straight, you want to just kiss top gear coming into T3, and you might touch top gear after you come down the hill in back and approach t10...depends on how good your line is that lap.

15/36 sounds right for a 350...they pull a couple k rpm less than my 175. Craig...what's that about 10,000 rpm?

NEVER GIVE AWAY ONE OF YOUR GEARS.
    JohnnyB

PS. And be prepared to change that gearing as you get more skilled. Come out of t12 harder you'll get to redline sooner. If all of a sudden you find yourself topping out 5th 1/2 way down the straight...or feeling like you are running out of gears coming into three....hey you are getting faster, drop a tooth on the back sprocket.

Edited by - jbranson on Apr 03 2007 9:41:15 PM

i bet craigs bike will pull 12k. 95-10 is stocker redline. i think chris could pull 12 on his. i think his limiter might have been set at 115. but im not sure on any of that. i want to know more. ill count sprockets at the fat house this week.

jc

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

id just get 5th into t3. but id always run out of gear on the front straight. i was always looking for 6th gear. it was worse with my old gearing. ive run 3 different combos at nhis. the last one seemed the best but still off. 17/34. since i just bought gearing i asked chris alot about it. he said 90% of those big gear packs you buy are useless. he has always claimed to pretty much run the same gearing at every track with very minimal changes. now im not saying thats the best, or anything like that, but im not planning on changing my gearing dramatically from track to track if i find something good. any other opinions?

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

oh yeah, rosko, i talked to chris tonight. he has slippers and pvl plates. drop him an email.

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

Joe...if you are just touching 5th and feeling like another gear on the straight at NHIS then that's about perfect. Same thing on my bike...if I gear for t3 then I'm too short for the straight...if I gear for the straight I'm a bit too tall for t3.

Even Chris isn't going to win at NHIS with Mosport gearing...and no one will win Mosport with NHIS gearing. Depends on what tracks you race...I can pretty much use 15/38 on any technical track, 16/38 on any long (fast) track.

Some people can live with being geared too tall...if they are light and on a bike with some balls they can get away with ignoring 5th gear...but they are still giving away speed. There's a big reason race bike builders go to the trouble to install 6 speeds and close ratios.
    If you are geared too short you are screwed...doesn't matter if you are Rossi, and engine only turns so many RPM before it blows up...or if it doesn't blow up it will just sit there giving away 10mph to the bikes around it and floating the valves.

I ran NHIS gears at Beaver Run one year....led the first three laps running the engine up to about 13k...then it blew up. Wondered why it was so easy to stay ahead of everyone....that is until it blew up.
    JohnnyB

Edited by - jbranson on Apr 03 2007 10:21:16 PM

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links