identify a hub CB77 ? front ? rear ?
Close

This is a discussion on identify a hub CB77 ? front ? rear ? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Anyone know for sure what this 36 spoke hub is from ? Mike...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone know for sure what this 36 spoke hub is from ?

Mike

Looks like a rear for a CB77 or 72.

Mike O.

It's the front hub from a CB/CL77 and a REAR backing plate from CB/CL77.

The large stay lug on the backing plate identifies it as a rear part (the early 305 "dreams" front brakes that had such a lug were single leading shoe). The lack of sprocket mount identifies the hub as a front hub....it's a mismatched set I think.
    JohnnyB

PS. Also note that the main brake arm is shorter than it should be for a front brake. The CB/CL77...had different length main brake arms on the front and rear...with the front being about 10mm longer than the rear. Longer front style arm is seen here:

http://www.jrbranson.com/showandtell.htm

Second photo down...right hand side.

Edited by - jbranson on Apr 18 2007 3:29:02 PM

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Yeah I think Branson's right. I didn't scroll over to look at the other photos when I first looked at it so I didn't see the lack of sprocket lugs.

Mike O.

we actually have a brake at the shop no one can identify. ill see if i can get a pic of it. its a honda brake, but really weird. and 90% of the stuff we have is either 350, 450, 305, or 250. so we were all stumped.

also, i tried to order some 10x1.5 jam nuts from bolt depot. they didnt have them, so they gave me the name of a place here in baltimore. (everyone has been telling me to go there, tex included) its called maryland metrics. they do all british and metric stuff as well as a bunch of other stuff. bearings, seals, etc etc etc. old racecar guys. i dont know the website, you can order online, but i do know if you go to spacely-sprockets.com, or cogswell-cogs.com, they own both of those domains and you can find them there.

they are one of those old school types of places that has literally everything you can imagine.

also, if anyone is looking for some datsun mags, 12x5 and 12x5.5, they have a set thats been sitting there apparently for about 15 years. nib. i think they want like 100 bucks for a set. black and mill finish. i know there are a couple of datsun guys here.

jc

aaron sent my wheel!

McMaster has 10mm x 1.5 jam nuts. If by jam nuts you mean thin nuts. These are 5mm thick...which would be about half the height of regular 10mm nuts.
    JohnnyB

I'm not sure but I think you should sell me both mis-matched pieces

R

If you need that stuff...I've usually got a few in stock. I don't sell the junkers though, only race prepped stuff.
    JohnnyB

Yeah - I figured you do. Building a set of wheels is pretty far down my list right now but I won't say no to the parts I will eventually need at the right price.

Don't mean to thread-jack but I would like to find a cable rear brake backing plate and a whole CL450 front brake to lace up.

So you want exactly what the first post has? A rear backing plate with a front hub? For what if I may be so stupid(er). Sidecar third wheel?I don't have any front CB77 brakes left to sell, but I think I have a rear I could part with, which are of course cable actuated (but designed for right hand sprocket).

Which reminds me, thr guy I used to ride for, Giannini, he was going to try to put a Cb350 front backing plate on a CB350 rear wheel so he could have 2LS rear. Anyone ever done something like that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links