1991 cb750 Cafe?racer
Close

1991 cb750 Cafe?racer

This is a discussion on 1991 cb750 Cafe?racer within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; HAs anyboby ever seen a nighthawk transformed into a caferacer...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1991 cb750 Cafe?racer

HAs anyboby ever seen a nighthawk transformed into a caferacer

I've seen a nighthawk transformed into a toaster, does that count?

hey geeto! got any pics of that one?

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I have an 83 650SC parts bike that I am contemplating myself. I posted the question in the build thread and got virtually no response. Seems that either no one has done it or those with building experience are not interested.

It seems to me that this platform is an excellent one for a cafe racer, especially the shaft drive models. Should I move forward, I will be sure to post my experiences.

Dave

Dave
    83 Nighthawk 650
    84 Nighthawk 650
    Bultaco M165
    Bultaco M82

so build it already. Too many times people post the question " do you think [insert UJM here] would be a good cafe racer?" and really there is no good answer to this question. If you think it is one then just fuckin build it.

personally, shaft drive cafe racers I draw the line at the GS850 (not the GL models), and don't really think of a nighthawk shaftie as anything other than a disposable motorcycle.

As for a nighthawk cafe racer, honda already built it it was called the nighthawk S.

Seems Like we struck some nerves on the whole DOHC Subject!

interesting..........

Dave
    83 Nighthawk 650
    84 Nighthawk 650
    Bultaco M165
    Bultaco M82

quote:
    Seems Like we struck some nerves on the whole DOHC Subject!

you didn't strike any nerves...you just asked a question that has been asked a lot of times but with different bikes (although the nighthawk has been brought up as a possible cafe racer before as well as its predecessor the cb650, if you searched you would have seen that). I think what you really have not realized is nobody cares until you actually build something or start something, untle then it is just a fart in a stiff breeze.

everybody has their own idea of what a cafe racer is (I'm sure yours has something to do with clubmans) so there really isn't a point in asking "is my bike good cafe racer fodder?" because everybody's answer will be different.

If you ask me I say no because: 1) I feel you shoudl start with a bike that has a modicum of performance which I can't really say the nighthawk has, and 2) because I think traditional cafe bikes use 70's and 80's performance bikes as their basis and the nighthawk really doesn't fit that either. It is my opinion, you asked and there it is.

For the record nobody has anything agains the DOHC Hondas, many people here love the cb450s and I personally am a big fan of the DOHC cb750/900/1100F, just not of the watered down UJMs they became when honda slapped nighthawk on the side (although I do like the nighthawk S)

Bryan,
    Are you talking about the new style 750 Nighthawk that is chain drive and the air cooled DOHC engine? If so, then I think you cxan probably do something interesting with it although I am not sure that cafe would be the way to go. It might do better as a streetfighter/naked bike kind of thing. I think the tank and sidecovers are a little too integrated (like the 750/900/1100 DOHC) for my tastes to go cafe. You might want to try something along the lines of an early 80's superbike theme.
    If it is the shaft drive 650, then I would ride it until the mains go out on the crank( they will) and sell it for parts.

It helps to be very specific aboout what model you are talking about.Nighthawks were 250,450,550,650(2 different models)and 750(2 different models). So, if you can figure out what you are asking, we can probably figure out an answer.

I have a red Honda, would it make a good cafe racer? How do I put clubman bars on it? Will I need to rejet the carbs? Can I put different front forks on it? What color should I paint it?

Ken

AHRMA 412
    Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

The Bike is a 1991 CB750 Nighthawk DOHC . I really am just looking at really doing something differnt with it. I have yet to see a nighthawk cafe racer on the net and was just curious if there was a reason for that. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links