75 CB550. I burned out me Rectifier (Oops!)
Close

75 CB550. I burned out me Rectifier (Oops!)

This is a discussion on 75 CB550. I burned out me Rectifier (Oops!) within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello All I went to hook up the battery, attached the ground wire first then the positive and without the key in the ignition and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TrialsRider

Thread: 75 CB550. I burned out me Rectifier (Oops!)

Unhappy 75 CB550. I burned out me Rectifier (Oops!)

Hello All

I went to hook up the battery, attached the ground wire first then the positive and without the key in the ignition and the switch not in the run position the indicator lights for the turn signal and oil pressure came on and then came the smoke. When I saw where it was coming from I could see that the rectifier was toast. I'm not sure what happened but here is what I did before my current state of affairs.

I had the stator rebuilt and installed it as it was before. Cleaned up all of the electrical connections that go to the electrical plate. So I'm guessing I crossed wires somewhere when I thought I was careful. The rectifier was an Electrosport one. When I installed the rectifier about a year ago the bike ran fine. Just not sure what happened and where to go from here.

Thanks much.

No problem; just drop another hundred bucks on a new rectum frier, then install it according to the original manufacturers wiring schematic diagram.

Did you meter test the 3 wires coming from the rebuilt stator and record the voltage output readings for future reference?
    ... now would be a very good time to compare those readings and see if your stator coils have changed, coil windings can either live short or dead short ymmv.

Hello TrialsRider

Thanks for the response. Would you be so kind and explain further how I would specifically test the 3 wires on the stator.
    I disconnected all connections that were on the electrical plate and removed it from the bike. I am assuming I would need a
    new regulator and reconnect everything again. I just don't want to fry another one.

Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bukaman View Post
    Hello TrialsRider

Thanks for the response. Would you be so kind and explain further how I would specifically test the 3 wires on the stator.
    I disconnected all connections that were on the electrical plate and removed it from the bike. I am assuming I would need a
    new regulator and reconnect everything again. I just don't want to fry another one.

Thanks

I don't have the shop manual for your bike specifically but on mine the book says to begin with measuring the resistance from each of 3 yellow wires, they are connected to a 3 phase alternator on mine so all 3 wires should typically have the same static resistance.
    Next you would start the engine, bring it up to moderate revs and measure the collective voltage output ... tests a hell of a lot easier if you have access to an oscilloscope.

How to Make a Reliable Motorcycle Voltage Regulator: 11 Steps <- this is a good read!
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 10-18-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    deaconblues likes this.

You need to check your ignition. No power should go to anything with the key in the off position. If you put on another rectifier it will just burn up like the last one

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    That's awesome! I already started shopping for all the parts. I don't even need a new R/R but how cool is having built your own!

Sponsored Links