Rear Sub Frame Question 750 Nighthawk - Page 3
Close

Rear Sub Frame Question 750 Nighthawk

This is a discussion on Rear Sub Frame Question 750 Nighthawk within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; If you're thinking of a fork swap you might want to consider using HOnda cbr f3. They are conventional forks and they are 41 mm ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rear Sub Frame Question 750 Nighthawk

If you're thinking of a fork swap you might want to consider using HOnda cbr f3.
    They are conventional forks and they are 41 mm but the swap would be a lot easier since most HOndas
    use the same neck bearing sizes and many stem lengths are the same.
    You will get the advantage of dual disc brakes to go along with it. And your 75 hp frame doesn't need
    120 hp forks.

yea there's easily 15+ things you could do in the front end alone to make it perform significantly better...

check wheel bearings
    check stem bearings
    change fork oil
    upgrade fork springs
    add cartridge emulator
    change brake fluid
    braided steel brake lines
    lightweight brake rotor
    better brake pads
    better tires
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by ViralVendetta View Post
    Those are nice bikes no doubt woodsman but the earlier model from mine. I think they are a better looking bike as well. I am extremely happy with the "all balls" company you informed me of. I can pretty much put anything I want on it per the bearings and adapters but.... I will need to do some factory measuring to keep travel close to original and make sure I do not make it way faster than the rear can cope. I also do not want to slam the bike as that hurts corner clearance and will result in a "pushy" front end. I thank you for the knowledge.
    And trials I have owned 2 of those bikes and they were both extremely good in the twisties in my amateur opinion. I took all the plastic off the bike and have decided to leave the factory rear seat fram alone and for now just build up a nice seat section for it. I have also order a jet and carb kit as it does stumble down low. The factory air box also looks to not be sealing correctly. What are your opinions on high quality single filters?
    Don't forget the reduced turning clearances and yoke design, USD forks are huge at the top where they connect to the triple trees (yokes or whatever) on a modern bike they contour the air box to accommodate the bigger forks with low bars, on your bike it will be the fuel tank that gets in the way real fast (if you were planning to go with anything lower then flat bars.) and I would recommend relatively wide flat bars over clip ons for that bike anyway, you are going to need the leverage.

Good call on not lowering the bike, a high quality single filter in a well designed airbox is exactly what you would be buying if you were to buy almost any brand new big buck world class motorcycle :| it's not like every cylinder is on an intake stroke at the same time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

... not looking to beat you up over it but Geeto was right, your bike doesn't have a sub frame that is a term associated with modern sectional frame design and where the tail section does nothing more then to hold a tail light, a license plate and sometimes your bum. If your existing frame had a tail piece that did nothing more than hold a tail light, license plate and sometimes your bum then you could change it any way you like or completely remove it but it doesn't, your frame is the result of the cheapest possible way that Honda could weld together a bunch of steel tubes to do everything.

The CB750 Nighthawk was a purely American Honda motorcycle. I don't think the rest of the world got it, and I am pretty sure (but not 100% certain) that they were produced in the Honda Marysville plant right here in Ohio alongside the Goldwing cruiser and the Shadow ACE. That being said the entire platform was the basis for the honda cb750 RC42 in the rest of the world:

Name:  800px-Honda_CB_Sevenfifty_1996.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  169.5 KB

yes, this sporty looking motorcycle shares a frame and engine with your nighthawk to the point where almost all of this stuff will bolt on. It also shares wheels, brakes and some other parts with cbr 600 parts bin.

In the US, most of the "custom" motorcycles made out of the nighthawk are pretty much garbage. The "dead whatever" bike you like is better than most but it really isn't even playing the same sport as some of the RC42 based customs out of japan and europe:

Name:  tsr2015042064_1.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  475.4 KB

Name:  9e19e985.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  honda-cb750-custom1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  80.6 KB

If I were you I would study those bikes from overseas since they provide better inspiration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    CaTacL1sm and woodsman like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Great bikes Geeto.

Commuter through the week, camping and canyons/track on the weekend.
Views: 157

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Great bikes Geeto.

Commuter through the week, camping and canyons/track on the weekend.
Views: 157
    I agree, it is beautiful. Why is it so much sexier than my bike? I know the paint lines are helping it, the tank looks a little different as well. I see it, the said panels have a nice break in them to accommodate the performance rear springs. I am going to aim towards this bike. This is the euro model or Japanese model? Thanks for your help and effort gentleman.

Fork wise I was leaning towards the cbr 900rr front fork setup (not inverted) I know those bikes made a lot more hp and it may be my amateur side thinking this, but it matches up with the cb750 weight much better than a lighter 600 bike. Again it may not matter but the nighthawk isn't exactly light in sport bike standards at 460lb+- dry. I would think this would give better dampening potential but then again I could put different rate springs in a 600 fork setup.

stay with stock forks
    nothing you mention is long enough

Quote Originally Posted by ViralVendetta View Post
    I agree, it is beautiful. Why is it so much sexier than my bike? I know the paint lines are helping it, the tank looks a little different as well. I see it, the said panels have a nice break in them to accommodate the performance rear springs. I am going to aim towards this bike. This is the euro model or Japanese model? Thanks for your help and effort gentleman.
    This is a japanese model, in fact I believe it is a special edition of the CB750 f2 that uses the 1983 cb1100F paint scheme (they came in red as well). The tail, seat, side-covers, tank, fender, and paint job are all stock. The mods are the 4-2-1 exhaust, the brake rotors, rearsets, bars, shocks, and mirrors.

I have never seen them side by side, but I am fairly sure if you could get the bodywork shipped into the US it would bolt on. Europe, england, and Asia is lousy with the RC42, it was considered a beginner bike so it shouldn't be hard to find parts and ship them to the US. I did a quick search on UK ebay and was able to find sidecovers, a tail, and a seat pretty easily. I even found brand new carbon fibre side covers. I'm also starting to wonder if the seat is really different at all.

I will add, that the first year of the RC42 is 1992, so it might be worth it to contact an import firm like Japanese classics and see what they are going for in japan/europe and what it would cost to import a 1992 model?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links