"Classic Tires" Not for Road Use - Page 3
Close

"Classic Tires" Not for Road Use

This is a discussion on "Classic Tires" Not for Road Use within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by 1957Goldtop Ha... I guess I like clown shoes �� personally I think it makes the bike look better. ��*♂️ The front fender ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: "Classic Tires" Not for Road Use

Quote Originally Posted by 1957Goldtop View Post
    Ha... I guess I like clown shoes �� personally I think it makes the bike look better. ��*♂️

The front fender is on the way, it wasnt ready when bike was picked up. I just bought some new mirrors to go on each side.

So are there no "clown shoe" tires that have the higher profile yet better? Again, at this stage of my riding I can't imagine going over 75mph so performance isn't priority... But safety is.

Thanks!
    If safety is your priority I'd would stick with the tyre sizes BMW recommend 110/80V18 front, and 140/80V17 rear.
    Last edited by steveo; 07-07-2018 at 01:13 PM.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Speed rating is only a small parts of motorcycle tire design. Those tires are designed for Model A cars, and some retard decided they looked good on a bike. That’s OK, said retard never rode the bike, and the internet rejoiced.

Motorcycle tires are shaped the way they are for a reason. They need to stay in contact with the road when leaned over.....because that is how you turn a motorcycle. That isn’t a characteristic that is important in a car tire. When turning, those tires are unsafe at speeds far below the “rated speed”.... which means; while they may not be stable, or rideable in a 30mph turn, at least they won’t burst, delaminate or come unglued.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

If it was to o' say, slide on the rim and shear off the valve stem, that would deflate as fast as a blowout, would it stay on the rim like a DOT tire is suppose to or fly off and kill you?

long but good read -> http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/section6.htm
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 07-07-2018 at 02:21 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I updated last post with a link to an image of the bike... Here it is again:
    Ah... well then, that's world's better than what I was imagining.

Not that it matters, but while you may like the look of those tires, there is a significant portion of the motorcycle community who will see them and think that if you were to put the "correct" tires on it, it would ride nicer.

People see those tires and think 1920 Indian. That's all fine and dandy if you like 1920 era bikes, but cafe racers weren't around in 1920. Or 1930 for that matter. Those tire sizes became popular recently, right around when the definition of "cafe racer" started to change to a bike that was all about looks and not at all about function. To people who have been around a while, those tires say you're into the looks and not the performance, hence you are evil and not to be trusted. Ok I made that last part up but it's not far from the truth.

IMHO get over the looks thing if you want it to be a useable bike. Over the years tire profiles changed for a reason, it wasn't just fashion. Modern rubber in an old design doesn't bring the design up to modern day. Tires these days are amazing, do yourself a favor and take advantage of them.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Buy some "modern" tires immediately.

IE: Metzeler, Bridgestone, Avon, etc. I usually run Avon RoadRiders on my vintage bikes.

Take a motorcycle safety course.

Buy yourself a 100cc to 250cc Japanese dirt bike & practice in the dirt.

Good luck.

PS. The tires that are on your bike are junk.
    XB33BSA and woodsman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ~JM~ View Post
    Buy some "modern" tires immediately.

IE: Metzeler, Bridgestone, Avon, etc. I usually run Avon RoadRiders on my vintage bikes.

Take a motorcycle safety course.

Buy yourself a 100cc to 250cc Japanese dirt bike & practice in the dirt.

Good luck.

PS. The tires that are on your bike are junk.
    number 2 post and you nailed it
    i would like to see one of the big publications like cycle world do an article and comprehensive tersting on these show tires and the others
    using those boggie wheeled outrigger lashups they could get real testy

Since there is clearly a market for these "clown shoes" seems like someone would make a more modern high profile tire 🤷*♂️
    no, no one does as it's just a stupid idea.

tyre companies make tyres that work. there isn't a lot of fashion in tyre design.

Jeff, look at the profile of your tires and ask yourself how that would work in 8Ball's avatar. How does that square block work on a vehicle that turns by leaning? It doesn't. The clown shoes are a fad, a fashion statement. They remind me of platform shoes from the 70's, you looked cool standing in line at the disco but they were shit for walking. I've been riding about as long as you have been alive and until this craze of chopping up vintage bikes began I had never seen tires like that on a motorcycle.

If you put on a set of decent tires it will be like buying a new bike. You will see how completely fucked up those clown shoes are when you feel how good your bike really can be.

Tubeless no. Radial, not sure how to tell. DOT approved, not sure... Can't find much info about these specific tires... that was the main goal behind my initial question... Finding a tire that has the same aspect ratio (ie higher profile) yet in a better tire that is DOT approved.

Since there is clearly a market for these "clown shoes" seems like someone would make a more modern high profile tire *♂️
    Generally speaking, you want the smallest tire in diameter & width that will provide the traction & rim protection required. This will reduce un-sprung weight & transition from side to side better enhancing performance.

Take a look at those almost square shouldered tires on your bike & think about what happens when they are leaned over at a 45 degree angle.
    Last edited by ~JM~; 07-08-2018 at 08:00 AM.

here's my BMW 1984 R100RS I paid $4,400,00 32,000 miles U.K. spec. had 8500,00 sterling worth of work done then it was put up. All premium parts, work was done in the U.K. It lives in my living room. but give me 7500.00 and I'll even ship it to you. The owner had it built fora race in the U.K. and did not make it. I shipped it back to the U.S. when I came back from overseas. I even have old MOTs to prove mileage and it does't even have clown shoes or I could get another 2 grand. here's a little tip, call your "builder" and tell him you want an extended warranty on any part of the exhaust system that he put header wrap on, then tell us what he says Name:  092 (5).JPG
Views: 95
Size:  472.4 KB
    Last edited by Jruff5585; 07-08-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    woodsman and CaTacL1sm like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links