KOSO D1 OLED Miniature digital dashboard
Close

This is a discussion on KOSO D1 OLED Miniature digital dashboard within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello, my name is Wolfgang and I am from Vienna/Austria. I recently built a replica of BIMOTA’s HB1 with a GT750 kettle engine. Thee will ...

Hello, my name is Wolfgang and I am from Vienna/Austria. I recently built a replica of BIMOTA’s HB1 with a GT750 kettle engine. Thee will be a feature about my bike in upcoming issue of Classic Motorcycle Mechanics 11/2018.

On this verz custom bike, I am using the ultra-small digital instrument KOSO D1 with OLED Display to complement my original SUZUKI GT750 analog hardcore tacho. The KOSO is integrated into my upper triple clamp.

Now the problem is that this display is completely unreadbale even at moderate sunlight, regardless if direct or indirect. When I am riding the bike, 90% of daytime I cant see any information like speed, water temp etc. I already changed the viewing angle in different ways but no change.
    Today I ahve contacted KOSO Europe and the advise I got is to mount the display fully vertically, many devices with OLED hard to read in sunlight. Sorry, this is no solution. I have never seen nor ridden a bike with instruments being fully vertically mounted. Maybe it works for big enduros mounted on the crossbar? I tested it fully vertically and it was no better anyhow. It looks great in shaded areas or at low light.

I want to know if any of you are using this instrument and what your experience is. I can clearly not recommend to use it.

Name:  0923AC0F-A0ED-4305-BD10-738AA62466D3.jpeg
Views: 190
Size:  1.38 MB

Name:  4E60776F-E7CA-4343-B318-1B94D0843681.jpeg
Views: 218
Size:  2.32 MB

Name:  40A88D9F-3ED7-41C8-815F-9D16FE340FE3.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  2.20 MB

with the proper application of a circular polarizer and antireflective coatings, the diffuse reflectance can be reduced to less than 0.1%.

Thanks, I already tried to hold a polar filter from my SLR in front of the display, with almost no effect. How would you do that?

The picture in the middle shows the display turned on, same as the first picture above it, but you juts cant see anything. It appears as if not the reflections are the problem, but the brightness of the pixels is just too low in bright daylight.

I hope anyone on that forum has experience with this instrument and can confirm whether my unit is bad or this is just crap.
    Last edited by Wolfgangh; 10-10-2018 at 04:53 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

That sure looks more like a liquid crystal display to me, LCD does not emit light as LED does, it reflects or refracts light.
    ... LCD displays are dependent on available light or a back light to show contrast.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 10-10-2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: refraction added

It is an OLED display. It definitely emits light, it is not dependent on backlight or available light. In fact, the darker it is, the better it reads. I assume it just does not emit enough light to be readable in bright environment. What a shame for an instrument for several hundret Euros.

Coincidentally I was looking at one of them recently on the stand of the UK importer.....Digital Speedos....and the display looked much brighter than the one in your pic.....isn't there a function to adjust the brightness/contrast?

I have already set the brightness to maximum. The display does not look bright in this pic because there was already too much ambient light ( inside my garage at noon). It does look very bright at low light though

Sponsored Links