Modern bike low price for Amateur Cafe Project
Close

This is a discussion on Modern bike low price for Amateur Cafe Project within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I am looking to purchase a used bike for a cafe project. I have not ridden many bikes other than Sportsters, Softails, and Baggers. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Modern bike low price for Amateur Cafe Project

I am looking to purchase a used bike for a cafe project. I have not ridden many bikes other than Sportsters, Softails, and Baggers. I did own some slow cruisers years ago. Suzuki Volusia 800, Honda Shadow Ace. But mostly Harley's since then.

Looking to get something that is not to difficult to modify, is relatively fast, and not too old. Something from the mid 90's thru 2005. I don't mind doing some cutting and minor welding. Mostly looking for something exposed shocks, cut the frame under the seat put cafe seat on the bike, change brake and signal lights in the back, headlight out front, clip ons and rear sets, and throw on a V&H pipe.

Bikes I have considered are Suzuki SV650, Honda Nighthawk 750. I have also considered some faster bikes such as CBR 600's, Ninja 600's or 750's but frames look like they would require alot of modification, and not having shocks in the back makes them look silly with a cafe seat setup IMHO.

Any suggestions on bikes to look at that are fairly easy to modify into a cafe bike that have some speed to em? Looking to spend under $2,000 for a decent running bike to modify.

I think you just said the target bike has to be:
    Fast
    Twin shock
    Tube frame
    Cheap

I suspect that some of those requirements are mutually exclusive. And what was that nonsense about cutting the frame under the seat all about?

Your could look at an early Bandit, but why would anyone change one into a cafe racer? It's built to ride not to pose.

Didn't someone post pictures recently of a Ninja with a cafe body kit? That might be a way to go. Or a Triumph triple and cafe racer body kit.
    Stephen J likes this.

Seems like a Sportster might be the best choice. The price point is a bit optimistic, but plenty of aftermarket to make a nice bike of that style.
    TrialsRider likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Build a Norley.
    jcw likes this.

buy a triumph thruxton. finance it. bam done. low monthly payments.

alternatively: buy a 90's tube frame buell. Use Instagram filters to make pics seem old timey. bam. done.

double alternatively, buy a 90's ducati 900ss/cr. it has Cafe racer right in the name so nobody will doubt your mad tyte street cred yo. Use above mentioned instagram filters. bam. done.

cut the frame? yeah you can fuck right off with that shit.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Not interested in a sportster. Been there done that. Looking to build cafe racer from a japanese bike. Not to pose, but because I like the way cafe race bikes handle, look, and ride. If you knew me you would know I am far from a poser. I could have a bike and ride all alone in antarctica and be happy with it, I dont care what people think. Its my bike. Could care less about posing.

The cutting was about putting a cafe racer seat on a frame that has tubes under the stock seat that point the seat up. Point is to flatten out the seat position with the lines of the tank and bike.

I like the Blue Collar bobber kit for the Ninja 250, but I have ridden a ninja 250 too small and too slow...But that would be the look I am going for. another option would be to purchase a faster street bike and turn it into a street fighter style removing the fairing and some of the other parts. Just throwing ideas around. Ninja or CBR's 600's can be had for under $2K.

Where are you located? Many of us like to look through Craigslist for where you are and make suggestions. I really think with your criteria, you are looking for something in the early to mid 80's. Look at a kz650 or 750. Maybe a Suzuki GS750-1100.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

honda hornet has a spine frame that will suit your cafe ideals.

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    Where are you located? Many of us like to look through Craigslist for where you are and make suggestions. I really think with your criteria, you are looking for something in the early to mid 80's. Look at a kz650 or 750. Maybe a Suzuki GS750-1100.
    Have people had luck with bikes from the 80's? I was leaning towards bikes from the mid 90's up thinking they would be in better running condition with less issues. Also, they are typically faster bikes.

I did see the honda hornet. I was looking at bikes from the 80's since they look like they are already easily setup for a standard motorcycle style and or cafe racer style. There are some like the CB1100...but are too expensive. Are there any bikes with some decent power that are setup from the factory like an SR400 or TU250 style from the 90's up? Otherwise maybe your right about going with a bike from the 80s.

Moto Guzzi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links