Mikuni rs34 carbs on a 1980 Honda cb900 - Page 3
Close

Mikuni rs34 carbs on a 1980 Honda cb900

This is a discussion on Mikuni rs34 carbs on a 1980 Honda cb900 within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by BrooklyniN85 I wanna know how you learn to shorten throttle cables? I'm curious Google it, genius, or Youtube. Sent from my SM-G955U ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Mikuni rs34 carbs on a 1980 Honda cb900

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklyniN85 View Post
    I wanna know how you learn to shorten throttle cables? I'm curious
    Google it, genius, or Youtube.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

540nova where's the pic of your bike man... Vintage bicycles with lawn mower motors don't count... Yes I see there's a kit cool. I'll look into it.

What kills me is my original post was had a any one do a Mikuni carb swap......ya all have opinions great but none of yous are running a Mikuni carb so wtf would u know if I need a shorter or longer cable the cables were perfect on the old carbs
    Last edited by BrooklyniN85; 11-09-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    oh yeah? have you looked into that yet because I am pretty sure the shaft drive interchangeability of that bike with one that has an 18" rear is almost nil. I've never seen someone pull off an 18" wheel swap on one of those without converting to chain or machining an adapter for the rear wheel....but please tell me all about this planned 18" wheel swap.
    Not to jump into the BS portion of this program (I swear the rake looks like somewhere around 10° in that one pic), but I am honestly curious if the splines would match for a direct swap of an 18" GL1000 wheel. Otherwise, you could work a drive shaft mate no problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

When I have the wheels on the bike I'll post it... As far as rake are any of yous certified motorcycle mechanics ? Who do it for a living and not a hobby I've had 2 mechanic take it for a ride. Plus the mechanic had the same bike add me he woulda told me about it cuz he took it for roaring 15min spin and he wasn't light on the throttle he was revving 9 10 k at the light I've put the bike to 70 mph it's a beast. But nothing higher speed limit and traffic
    Last edited by BrooklyniN85; 11-09-2018 at 05:23 PM.

would u know if I need a shorter or longer cable the cables were perfect on the old carbs
    well....have you looked into the throat of the carb while you worked the throtte? If you open the throttle all the way and the slide doesn't come all the way up and hit the stop, then you need a shorter cable inside the sleeve (ie shorter pull). there is some adjustment on the carb where the cable sits that will allow you to fine tune it but if it isn't opening more than 3/4 you are going to need to adjust the cable.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Google Venhill Universal throttle kit, available on eBay and other places, for less than $30.
    Revival Cycles has a kit that is more complete, from Venhill, but it has more pieces than you'll need. Very easy to assemble the perfect length cable.
    I don't want you to see my bikes, because then you'll feel bad about what a piece of crap you have, by comparison. I don't want to look like a show off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wanna know how you learn to shorten throttle cables? I'm curious
    LOL. You should stop yappin' like you know what you are doing.

You can get a cable shortening kit or buy proper length cables.

Spending a bunch more money on usd front ends and spoke wheels is wasting money. I doubt the bike is "stupid fast", more likely just uncomfortable to ride fast.

Quote Originally Posted by irk_miller View Post
    Not to jump into the BS portion of this program (I swear the rake looks like somewhere around 10° in that one pic), but I am honestly curious if the splines would match for a direct swap of an 18" GL1000 wheel. Otherwise, you could work a drive shaft mate no problem.
    I don't think so (and also I think all GL1000 wheels of that era are 17"). IIRC the cx500 and the cb900c share a spline count.

I have heard of guys putting the whole GL1000 final drive into other bikes just to get the 75-77 spoked rear wheel, but that's a lot of work for little return.

FWIW, you can unbolt the 2 speed unit from the 900 engine cases and convert to chain easier. I think there was a guy on this forum who did it. But honestly, cb900Fs aren't expensive and are literally a better bike in every way.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Venhill also do shorter, make yourself brake pipes if they're to long too.

When I have the wheels on the bike I'll post it... As far as rake are any of yous certified motorcycle mechanics ? Who do it for a living and not a hobby I've had 2 mechanic take it for a ride. Plus the mechanic had the same bike add me he woulda told me about it cuz he took it for roaring 15min spin and he wasn't light on the throttle he was revving 9 10 k at the light I've put the bike to shoot 70 mph it's a beast.
    It's pretty well documented what different rake and trail does to the handling, particularly as it relates to turning and long line cruising. Offering data like "he took it for roaring 15min spin" "revving 9 10k at the light" and "shoot 70 mph it's a beast" does nothing to prove anyone wrong on where your suspension is. You can get a simple angle gauge that will tell you where you're at. There are advantages and disadvantages to different numbers. I, for one, ride a chopper every day that has a 44° rake that's a blast to ride, but turns worse than the Peterbilt box truck I drove for a job in college.
    woodsman, Geeto67 and Andyshep like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links