Honda CB125 twin 1985 suspensions
Close

This is a discussion on Honda CB125 twin 1985 suspensions within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi guys, so I just bought a Honda and I wanna turn it in a cafe racer I do prefer the twin suspension instead of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi guys, so I just bought a Honda and I wanna turn it in a cafe racer I do prefer the twin suspension instead of a monoshock suspension and I was wondering if any of you did the conversion before and if there is any tricky part or if it’s even possible cuz honestly I don’t know anything about it
    It’s my first project I’m 21 but I’ve been working in a garage for the pass 2 years so I guess I have a little experience but I’m still a bit scared of starting 😂

So yuh if anyone have anything to say to help me or if anybody did this before pleas fill me in

Get the bike running properly and safely and learn to ride and maintain it. You obviously know nothing about bikes so you need to start at the beginning.

Maybe some moron has done it but conversions from mono to dual shock makes no sense. Stop looking at pictures of "cafe racers", the vast majority are an assemblage of bad ideas.

To be fair the shock on them is shit, decent twin shocks should make it handle better but you'd have to seriously beef up the subframe, and work out, properly the geometry. If you're doing that you need to sort out the front forks, they're shit too.

It's pretty pointless prettying or trying to get more performance out of a 125, especially one that 30+ years old and was cheap then.

My first bike was a '84 CB125TDC, I had to get the forks re-chromed, the cylinders rebored, lined and had oversized pistons. It was still shit.

For how much it'll cost you, you might aswell get something that's already what you want or, as above spend time maintaining it and getting the best out of it, then move on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I’m not really trying to get more power from it just to make it look a bit better and to make it slightly lighter cuz I’m pretty small for it

And I’m also just waiting to get 24 so I can apply for a full A license after that I’ll sell the bike anyway

But now that I see it’s so much work I think I’ll just leave it like that ride it as it is and probably will look for one that is much easier to convert in to a Cafe racer
    Last edited by Ezhax; 11-13-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Get the bike running properly and safely and learn to ride and maintain it. You obviously know nothing about bikes so you need to start at the beginning.

Maybe some moron has done it but conversions from mono to dual shock makes no sense. Stop looking at pictures of "cafe racers", the vast majority are an assemblage of bad ideas.
    The bike it’s in perfect condition at the moment and there is nothing left to do for mentaining
    It’s true I don’t know much about motorcycles but I think I know couple bits not really nothing
    And what is the point of ridding something if you don’t like it?!
    As for the experience how can I learn more if I don’t try anything if I don’t broke some screws or bend some bars how can you learn something if you never live it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezhax View Post
    The bike it’s in perfect condition at the moment and there is nothing left to do for mentaining
    It’s true I don’t know much about motorcycles but I think I know couple bits not really nothing
    As for the experience how can I learn more if I don’t try anything if I don’t broke some screws or bend some bars how can you learn something if you never live it ?
    It's an old bike it needs constant maintenance. If it is the only bike you have then that would be the point of riding, aside from learning how not to die on the road.

Almost all situations in life require learning and understanding how and why you do something before you "live it". That is how you avoid breaking and bending shit.

Which are the couple bits that you know?

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    It's an old bike it needs constant maintenance. If it is the only bike you have then that would be the point of riding, aside from learning how not to die on the road.

Almost all situations in life require learning and understanding how and why you do something before you "live it". That is how you avoid breaking and bending shit.

Which are the couple bits that you know?
    Well I do know everything about the engine if it is to say so for my bike of course and i know it’s an old bike but it’s been fully restored trust me it doesn’t need anything else to run properly

And of course i know why I wanna do it and now I was trying to learn how to do it but you hit me and put me back to the ground before I could even fly

There is no point in being rude even if you are realist and trying to say something good

POST A PICTURE OF THE BIKE YOU HAVE
    what country are you in
    what kind of fabrication and welding experience do you have building motorcycle frames
    do you have lots of money laying around to spend?
    if so gift it to me thru paypal and i will spend it on cheap hookers and expensive whisky wilst i sketch a plan for the build

I was trying to learn how to do it but you hit me and put me back to the ground before I could even fly
    LOL. Oh cupcake...I'm so sorry I, let me help you out of the hole.

What a terrific idea it would be to convert it from a mono shock to dual shocks and with a man like yourself on the job I know it will be outstanding.

Exhax,
    Ignore the crusty old timers and try not to take it personally. It's easy to be an ass. I know. I have been there often enough. It takes a lot more words to explain why changing from single to twin shocks is not a good idea unless you have the time and tools or cash to do it properly. The swingarm can probably be modified with a couple of pressed lower mounts, but you will have to look at the frame design to determine what would need to be changed to go to twin shocks and then you will have to buy shocks and good ones are not cheap.

A quick google search suggests that teh frame is very similar to a twin shock frame but would need work to convert it and then the plastics probably won't fit and will need to be modified or replaced.

That leaves you with two choices. Sell this bike and get another that already has twin shocks, or leave the suspension and just ride it and have some fun. 125 twins were never very fast and at the price point, were not designed to be at the top of the pile in terms of handling either. They are basically machines which meet HP or capacity laws for learners, so are built down to a fairly low cost.

There are probably things could do to make it visually more appealing such as lower bars or a different seat and maybe different paint scheme, but try not to spend way more on it than it's worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links