Interesting information regarding airboxes and high flow carbs - Page 3
Close

Interesting information regarding airboxes and high flow carbs

This is a discussion on Interesting information regarding airboxes and high flow carbs within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; No airbox just stacks. Tach starts at 5k. I had the pleasure of being around one when it was fired up after some engine work. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Interesting information regarding airboxes and high flow carbs

No airbox just stacks. Tach starts at 5k. I had the pleasure of being around one when it was fired up after some engine work. Used a battery blanket to preheat the engine a bit. At redline, its enough to make your fillings fall out.

jcw likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

"Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    What about the drag bikes of the 80’s? KZ/GPZ, GS. Looks like air tech streamlining refers to a giant airbox as part of the bodywork here.

DRAG BIKE DRAGBIKE FAIRING AIRBOX AIR BOX BODY ICS FENDER WHEEL TUB BELLY PAN HEADLIGHT UNIVERSAL
    I don't know wheat year they started using airboxes. I do know that years ago I had the opportunity to go over Dave Shultz's 1972 Kawasaki h2, largerly considered one of the first pro-stock motorcycle, and it had only open stacks. I want to say they started using them around the mid 1980's when pro stock motorcycle transitioned to fully faired bikes. Prior to the transition the those unfaired rockets were very dirty aerodynamically so I don't know that it mattered as much whether there was a clean well of air for the intake to draw from. When they went to fairings and cleaned up the aerodynamics that's probably when they saw the pressure differential between outside the bodywork and inside.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    No airbox just stacks. Tach starts at 5k. I had the pleasure of being around one when it was fired up after some engine work. Used a battery blanket to preheat the engine a bit. At redline, its enough to make your fillings fall out.
    totally love that bike! but I just wish they would let you hear the bike in operation instead of constantly blipping the non-loaded engine somewhere between 5 and 20 K.

There are quite a few videos on youtube showing one ( and or a copy) running on a track, just search Honda CR166. Unfortunately you may not find one where it is being thrashed to its potential. It's being short shifted in deference to its age and value. The one I heard running was in your neck of the woods for a long time and was on display at the Ontario Science Museum. As the story goes, it was eventually taken down from the display stuffed in the back and could have easily gone missing. I believe it eventually did some parade laps at Shannonville, before the factory finally said hey...wait a minute.. that should go back to Japan.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

There are quite a few videos on youtube showing one ( and or a copy) running on a track, just search Honda CR166. Unfortunately you may not find one where it is being thrashed to its potential. It's being short shifted in deference to its age and value. The one I heard running was in your neck of the woods for a long time and was on display at the Ontario Science Museum. As the story goes, it was eventually taken down from the display stuffed in the back and could have easily gone missing. I believe it eventually did some parade laps at Shannonville, before the factory finally said hey...wait a minute.. that should go back to Japan.
    I seen that one at the science centre
    I like the RC149 even better.

Honda doesn't own an original, their 166 is a replica they built. Hailwood's 166 is lost to time and space. I've held the pistons from Redmond's 166 in my hand when I was at Team Obsolete (and in the other I held a G50 piston from the IOM TT G50). I don't know of any others out there.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Honda doesn't own an original, their 166 is a replica they built. Hailwood's 166 is lost to time and space. I've held the pistons from Redmond's 166 in my hand when I was at Team Obsolete (and in the other I held a G50 piston from the IOM TT G50). I don't know of any others out there.
    When I saw the bike, it was before any replicas were built and the one I saw still exists in Japan. It almost got lost in time and space when the Ontario Science Museum removed it from its display and it was gravitating towards the door.

I think you mentioned before that it and most of the factory bikes went missing, but I have to disagree. A friend of mine had the good fortune of finding his way into a very large warehouse at the Suzuka track that Honda owns in Japan. He said it pretty much had one of everything including the race cars, bikes, shelved prototypes... you name it. They have since opened a museum to display some of it, including the CR166.

Take a tour.... the race bikes are upstairs. https://www.honda.com/collection-hall-gallery

This is the fellow that was overseeing the firing up the CR166, but as previously mentioned, I saw it run in the early 80's. It was shortly thereafter that it was taken back to Japan.

https://canadianmotorcyclehalloffame...008/tom-faulds
    "Non urinat in ventum"

The TO bike is a 64 RC164 IIRC. ie it's a first year 250 which was raced by Redman. The components are something else for sure. I used to know Rob I and Nobby pretty well back in the 90's and visited the shop a few times.

Didn't Rod Gould abscond with a Hailwood 6? I don't know if that's the TO bike or another one. Tom Faulds did have a "350" in Canada for years and I'm sure it went back home to Japan some years ago.

BTW, just to be pedantic, RC were works racers and CR were production racers including CR93, 77, 72 and 110. Any 6 has to be a favorite bike but maybe a 50cc twin or 5 cylinder 125 is perhaps even more exotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    The TO bike is a 64 RC164 IIRC. ie it's a first year 250 which was raced by Redman. The components are something else for sure. I used to know Rob I and Nobby pretty well back in the 90's and visited the shop a few times.

Didn't Rod Gould abscond with a Hailwood 6? I don't know if that's the TO bike or another one. Tom Faulds did have a "350" in Canada for years and I'm sure it went back home to Japan some years ago.

BTW, just to be pedantic, RC were works racers and CR were production racers including CR93, 77, 72 and 110. Any 6 has to be a favorite bike but maybe a 50cc twin or 5 cylinder 125 is perhaps even more exotic.
    You are correct about the RC & CR #dyslexia. I am positive it was a 250 that Tom had and the hall of fame link refers to it as :

"That was the result the first time they succeeded in firing up the RC166 six-cylinder 250 cc Honda grand prix bike that Tom had rescued from obscurity after it was retired from display at the Ontario Science Centre and placed in storage."

Whatever it was.... it was a 6 and yes it went back to Japan and the story I got was that it was raced by Hailwood.

Ps... the RC164 is a 4 cylinder. https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/14264/lot/636/
    Last edited by Cyorg; 01-04-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links