What to use in ultrasonic cleaner to clean carburetor - Page 2
Close

What to use in ultrasonic cleaner to clean carburetor

This is a discussion on What to use in ultrasonic cleaner to clean carburetor within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I normally don't spend too much time tarting up the outer surfaces on carbs - I tend to spend more time on the insides. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What to use in ultrasonic cleaner to clean carburetor

I normally don't spend too much time tarting up the outer surfaces on carbs - I tend to spend more time on the insides.

I use a cheap ultrasonic for all the brass bits - 50/50 vinegar and water works well.

Carb cleaner / brake cleaner and decent PSI compressed air is what I use for all the internal orifices. I like the brake cleaner because it leaves no residue.

Quote Originally Posted by irk_miller View Post
    I build a lot of dirt bikes. If any of you guys, and I'm sure there are plenty of you, have seen as many ragged out vintage dirt bikes as I have, you know how bad the carbs can be. I promise you that ultrasonic cleaners do an amazing job cleaning carbs, especially with the right cleaners. Like I said before, Pine Sol does an amazing job. You can put stuff like Berryman's in one too. I always run mine with max heat when I use cleaners. Even S100 can be put in one. For non aluminum stuff, particularly rusty stuff, then diluted phosphoric acid works really well. To say they don't work is absolutely false.

I'm digging around for before and after pics and came up with these. I wish I could find the before pic of the TM33. It had so much oxidation the pumper piston was frozen, but I got it totally cleaned up and working like new. The PD carb in the first two pics was the same deal. The pumper was trashed. The bowl was a mixture of yellow and white goo.

Attachment 96559
    Attachment 96561
    Attachment 96563
    No green in there? If it was only white/yellow your cabs must have been bone dry, you are only seeing aluminum and sulfur, if it was green and looks more like coral covered in dead jelly fish then that is a sign of copper leaching into old fuel.
    & If it smells like a tarts handkerchief then it is old ethanol fuel or somebody pissed in your fuel tank.

Those carbs would look like brand new aluminum if you hit them with his soda blaster now
    and I never said they don't work, I just don't like the job they do, for example I would never put an 80,000$ microscope part into an ultrasonic cleaner just to clean it, because I know what ultrasonics do to a microscopic crack or material fracture :| they make it bigger real fast.
    http://www.zenith-ultrasonics.com/ultrasonic_damage.htm
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 01-21-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    ... I like the brake cleaner because it leaves no residue.
    I'm pretty sure it's about one molecule away from carburetor cleaner

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Many thanks to all who weighed in on this. TrialsRider’s comment about an ultrasonic cleaner having the potential to cause a fracture to grow and lead to failure had never occurred to me.

I use pine sol to clean carbs, jaguar turned me on to it.

NEVER use simple green or purple power on alloy carb bodies, it is reactive and will not only strip all protective coating from the outside but will start the oxidation process.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's about one molecule away from carburetor cleaner
    Cant really comment on what's in them, but carb cleaner leaves a slight residue when you try and blow it away whereas brake cleaner does not.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Cant really comment on what's in them, but carb cleaner leaves a slight residue when you try and blow it away whereas brake cleaner does not.
    How ironic?

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    I never found ultrasonic cleaners to be all that great for cleaning carbs, I just take them completely apart and use this amazing stuff called 'Carburetor cleaner'
    ... but don't get any over-spray on plastic parts, it dissolves plastic real fast.

Oh ya, almost forgot to mention, I rarely take apart the top half of a CV carb seeing as all of the bad stuff is in the bottom half.
    I can think of 2 good reasons for taking the top off when cleaning CV carbs.
    Firstly to check the condition of the diapragm, and secondly it's probably not a good idea to soak the said diapragm in carb cleaner.
    Last edited by steveo; 01-24-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I can think of 2 good reasons for taking the top off when cleaning CV carbs.
    Firstly to check the condition of the diapragm, and secondly it's probably not a good idea to soak the said diapragm in carb cleaner.
    I use Clear Simple Green (yeah, there is such a thing) and water in 50/50 solution. I would recommend removing the float valves. The heat/vibration can dislodge that little rubber tip from the valve body.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links