What to use in ultrasonic cleaner to clean carburetor
Close

This is a discussion on What to use in ultrasonic cleaner to clean carburetor within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi all. I am in the process of restoring a nice FT 500 Ascot. I am going to disassemble the carb and clean it. After ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What to use in ultrasonic cleaner to clean carburetor

Hi all.
    I am in the process of restoring a nice FT 500 Ascot. I am going to disassemble the carb and clean it. After cleaning the gum, etc from its internals, I plan to put its metal parts into my HF ultrasonic cleaner. I would like the finish to be restored to the “bright” aluminum color it would have had when new. Is this possible? If so, how? By using a liquid jewelry cleaner or some other mild acid or base solution?
    Thank you all in advance for any advice you can give me.

I use a mix of 50% distilled water and 50% original Krud Kutter.

To get the aluminum super clean, you're going to want to use a soda blaster (basically baking soda). I bought a cheap air gun with a media hopper on it that I can connect up to my air compressor. I buy the 50lb bag of baking soda from harbor freight and blast right in my driveway. The media is water soluble so it won't hurt the carbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

here's the gun I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and an example of what it can do:

Before:

After:

jcw likes this.
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thank you very much. I will make my way to HF!

i used mine today to give some dellortos and jets a clean. ran about 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water, then second one added a couple hundred ml of the wurth fuel system cleaner. cleaned some of the jets up - bike had sat for 6+ years, a couple were still blocked solid after 15 minutes on various stages.

absentmindedly put a zinc plated clamp in - turned lots of stuff blackish and rooted the plating on the clamp.

Most of the time, I use Pine Sol. Pine Sol does an amazing job on carbs. Sometimes, I use Purple Power.

I never found ultrasonic cleaners to be all that great for cleaning carbs, I just take them completely apart and use this amazing stuff called 'Carburetor cleaner'
    ... but don't get any over-spray on plastic parts, it dissolves plastic real fast.

Oh ya, almost forgot to mention, I rarely take apart the top half of a CV carb seeing as all of the bad stuff is in the bottom half.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 01-21-2019 at 07:56 AM.
    chancho196 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    I never found ultrasonic cleaners to be all that great for cleaning carbs, I just take them completely apart and use this amazing stuff called 'Carburetor cleaner'
    ... but don't get any over-spray on plastic parts, it dissolves plastic real fast.
    I was the same way until I had to get clogs out from unknown areas of my CRs. Never going back to the old ways.

Although I will still dip them for a few minutes in a can of berrymans first.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    I was the same way until I had to get clogs out from unknown areas of my CRs. Never going back to the old ways.

Although I will still dip them for a few minutes in a can of berrymans first.
    CR's are real carburetors, nothing like the CV crap that came on the Ascot
    If he wants to make that powdered metal look bright, you gave the best recommendation with using a soda blaster.

I build a lot of dirt bikes. If any of you guys, and I'm sure there are plenty of you, have seen as many ragged out vintage dirt bikes as I have, you know how bad the carbs can be. I promise you that ultrasonic cleaners do an amazing job cleaning carbs, especially with the right cleaners. Like I said before, Pine Sol does an amazing job. You can put stuff like Berryman's in one too. I always run mine with max heat when I use cleaners. Even S100 can be put in one. For non aluminum stuff, particularly rusty stuff, then diluted phosphoric acid works really well. To say they don't work is absolutely false.

I'm digging around for before and after pics and came up with these. I wish I could find the before pic of the TM33. It had so much oxidation the pumper piston was frozen, but I got it totally cleaned up and working like new. The PD carb in the first two pics was the same deal. The pumper was trashed. The bowl was a mixture of yellow and white goo.

Name:  carb 1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  360.2 KB
    Name:  carb 2.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  301.0 KB
    Name:  carb 3.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  348.7 KB
    steveo likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links