Another Newbie Question: Disc Brake Dust Cover... Necessary?
Close

This is a discussion on Another Newbie Question: Disc Brake Dust Cover... Necessary? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I spent some time getting 40+ years of sludge off my newly acquired '73 CB500. I pulled the fender and dust cover for better access... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Another Newbie Question: Disc Brake Dust Cover... Necessary?

I spent some time getting 40+ years of sludge off my newly acquired '73 CB500. I pulled the fender and dust cover for better access... and carved off about a pound of grease, brake dust, dirt, etc. from inside the fender, between the fender and fork...

Looking at the dust shield, I really can't see a "significant" function. Well, beyond the whole dust shield thing. So, I did a search - couldn't find any info. Then, I looked at lots of pics of modified/restomod bikes... and it seems most are leaving these off. But really, I know next to NOTHING about these old bikes. So, before I start pulling things off - to later find out they're kind of important - I figured I'd ask the gurus.

Thanks!

Name:  GnwEOOr.png
Views: 120
Size:  3.42 MB

I don't remember them having a dust cover. Those look anodized and I'm sure nothing on the 500 was anodized.

that is oem meant to AVERT WATER FLING AT SPEED

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

So, it’s a tiny fender for the disc.

I stand corrected. I did manage to find a photo of a 500t with one, but I've never seen one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    that is oem meant to AVERT WATER FLING AT SPEED
    Is there a specific issue with that bikes brakes that would necessitate It? Or is it more like a period option?
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

we have had a discussion about these before but I can't seem to find the old thread.

Are the necessary? no, you aren't going to crash with it missing because it is not there. But that doesn't mean they don't serve a function. most cars also have something similar on them from the factory, called disc brake dust shields. So what do they do? 2 things: 1) they divert brake dust down toward the ground instead of allowing it to spray back and cover your forks and wheel; and 2) they divert water spray from the leading edge of the disc from spraying you in the face during a rain storm.

Brake dust is corrosive to certain types of finishes like clear coat, aluminum, chrome, etc...so the less you get it on those things (like your fork, spokes and rim) the better off you are. You don't see them on a lot of new bikes because most new bikes have the calipers mounted behind the fork legs and the dust is already blowing away from the exposed slider. Also most modern front fenders have coverage over the disc to help control water spray. I don't know if you noticed, but the SOHC4 rotor is stainless steel and pretty thick, thicker than almost all other motorcycle brake rotors, and as such it tosses a fair amount of water in the rain or on wet roads. Ironically, guys who run drilled discs on these bikes usually delete them because they are concerned about road debris like a small pebble getting caught between the disc hole and the shield and causing drag and also having a disc full of holes kinda makes the brake dust go everywhere anyway.

If you want my opinion - some honda engineer got paid a decent wage to design that part and have it function, so if you are keeping the stock brakes, put it back on, a stock SOHC4 front end looks kinda naked without it. If you are upgrading and want to ditch it because it has stopped being useful...well that's a different story.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I thought it looked pretty cool in the 1970's was hard to keep clean of what was possibly asbestos :|

Leaving stuff like that off is a cost saving measure,
    on recent model 4 pot disc brakes they are starting to leave off the little plastic cover that goes over the pads and pins

:| which sucks because now the brakes ice up real easy in mud and freezing rain conditions,
    helps if you urinate on it, but you can only have so much pee and then you run out of brakes :|

:| You know why trials bikes have a full guard on the wave rotor front brake?
    ... so it doesn't cut the catchers fingers off!

gto i respectfully disagree
    it isn't anything at all diust related and it isn't shielding the rotor from anything
    it is strictly anti water fling
    think about how ,much material a pad would need to sheid in order for it to be a ;roblem
    getting new pads in timre would be the issue
    brake dust takes time and many braking cycles to accunulate
    the shields on car rotors are mostly there to protrect the rotor from the rare bigger foreign object and gritty muddy road water that wil accelerate wear

because we are on earth.planet earth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links