MIG Welding an Exhaust Header - CB400T - Page 2
Close

MIG Welding an Exhaust Header - CB400T

This is a discussion on MIG Welding an Exhaust Header - CB400T within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Thanks for the feedback fellas. I can get into a MIG welder for cheap, like I said. So maybe I'll build the equipment around the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: MIG Welding an Exhaust Header - CB400T

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I can get into a MIG welder for cheap, like I said. So maybe I'll build the equipment around the shop first. Not having a tool cart on my first bike sucked. Tools and parts everywhere. plus my stool didn't have wheels

These two threads were interesting on the subject. They contradict each other to some extent.

On the one hand, It helps me understand I know nothing about the why for the "H-box", or designing exhaust systems for that matter. On the other hand, the one experiment seems little if any change in performance, save for shifting the power band to higher in the RPMs.

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...explained.html

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...-into-one.html

jcw
    Without looking too much into both threads, my take is...
    1) we arent building racebikes where extracting that last bit of horsepower is consistent with the rest of the build
    2) resonance chambers like the one in tge first thread are more likely made for subjective sound quality and sound dampening issues than performace issues.

My recommendations are to KISS. keep it simple. Two into one. Calculate header diameter, calculate header length, estimate post merge diameter and you have the plans for performace exhaust that is better than most.

If ypu google Wallace racing engine calculators they will have something for the length and diameter. Cone engineering will have links to recommendations on post merge collector diameters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jakejensen View Post
    Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I can get into a MIG welder for cheap, like I said. So maybe I'll build the equipment around the shop first. Not having a tool cart on my first bike sucked. Tools and parts everywhere. plus my stool didn't have wheels
    I have great stools. I'll send you a stool sample.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My take on your concern for proper header design: you can port the head, oversized pistons and valves, race cam, spending $1500 in parts and labor... for 6 hp gain.

Build something sound and aesthetically pleasing, your butt Dyno will never know the difference.

I built this exhaust, it's over-bored, custom ground race cam, blah, blah... Is the exhaust optimized for flow, scavenging, etc? Probably not. If it is, it was by accident. Who cares, it looks good.

jakejensen likes this.

[/QUOTE]I have great stools. I'll send you a stool sample.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I like my stools soft and smooth. FYI.

Heated garage floor is real nice, just chuck a dog bed on the floor and you're at the right height to work on the bikes.

Where you will notice if the other guy did a better job on his CB350 then you, is when you can't keep up to them going up the next big hill,
    and no matter what you do :/ it's still going to have that unmistakable CB350 sound recognizable from ~a kilometre away. The best uncorked 4-stroke exhaust note imho is still a reverse cone megaphone and a resonator with a balance tube between the headers becomes more important once you add twin mufflers that offer some back-pressure.

"... save for shifting the power band to higher in the RPMs" then they possibly achieved exactly what they were aiming for, because a CB350 with only open headers will fall flat on it's face at higher speed compared to one with a well tuned intake and exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by 540nova View Post
    I built this exhaust, it's over-bored, custom ground race cam, blah, blah... Is the exhaust optimized for flow, scavenging, etc? Probably not. If it is, it was by accident. Who cares, it looks good.

That is one sweet CB350, but I bet it would be even lighter and slightly less prone to head shake on the big bumps if you removed one of the more then enough twin front brake discs. As it sits that bike probably has about 8 times the original front brake and double what that motors power and bikes weight can justify carrying. ... from here the rear tire now looks inadequate, you're going to be riding that front wheel a lot.

Trialsrider, I realize that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links