Modifying a seat... need some tips - Page 2
Close

Modifying a seat... need some tips

This is a discussion on Modifying a seat... need some tips within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Cyorg ... material that stretches in both directions ... just like leather...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Modifying a seat... need some tips

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    ... material that stretches in both directions ...
    just like leather

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I can't picture the transition from seat to fender after the cut, but you might want to consider the aesthetics before you cut anything and do your seat fabrication with it in mind. The only thing I'd add to the points above is that I usually hollow a spot in the foam and add a gel pad insert. Find a old "car coat", nice, soft leather in large sections.
    You're right woodsman. 4.5" is the wrong number - cuts too much off. that's the most that can be cut off without getting into the OE mounting points. 2-2.5" is the likely amount that'd be sliced off.

You guys got me wanting to do this myself!

It's a lot easier to handle if it turns out crap and you don't have to pay large $ for something you don't really like,
    + if you make it yourself and it needs changes you know exactly how to do it :| seems like a no brainer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    You guys got me wanting to do this myself!
    It's pretty much the only way you'll probably "save money". Plus skills development so that's a plus.

I'm teaching myself how to sew and recovering our bar-stools in home so I can learn to do motorcycle upholstery. I have a friend who does it as side work and she has no shortage of business.
    540nova likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    It's pretty much the only way you'll probably "save money". Plus skills development so that's a plus.

I'm teaching myself how to sew and recovering our bar-stools in home so I can learn to do motorcycle upholstery. I have a friend who does it as side work and she has no shortage of business.
    My guy charges $200-$350 for fancy coverings, so there's money to be made.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    just like leather

True, but I think the stuff they sell will stretch a little more (unless you're referring to scrotum) and is easier to work with.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 04-01-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post

If you are thinking about a machine. I bought one of those cheap chinese ones off eBay and it has worked out ok so far. It was easy to amortize the cost because I used it to sew together a winter boat cover for a 35' wood barge. Those videos at Sailrite are pretty good. They have generic ones on different types of seams and excellent ones on how to make patterns. They also sell pattern material that is clear plastic, but has threads running diagonally through it so it retains its shape. Not necessary for a M/C seat, but great for larger stuff. As for a machine. I'm sure your friend can guide you. but try to get one with a walking foot and one that will sew a fairly wide stitch so the material won't pucker. While learning... basting tape was my best friend. Not great for M/C seats because if any of it sticks out of the seam it will collect crap, but when trying to shove material that is 10' wide though the machine it helps. Another thing I found about the sewing machine is you need one that has some grunt at very low speed. Sometimes when going around a tight corner I'll just crank it by hand.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Geeto, watch the how it's made video, making a horse riding saddle.
    Note how they double thread stitch the leather

Leather works pretty good at covering a cow, would be a bitch to cover a cow with woven synthetic material :|
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 04-01-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Here is the machine. Given the price, its probably a crap shoot, but as mentioned, mine has paid for itself. I just made a small bench to mount it in. The bench doubles as a stand for the router when not sewing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rex-607-lea...cAAOxyzGlQ9MZT
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Leather is pretty simple to work with. Sharp tools, tough thread, hot rocks, water, add effort with patience.

You might want to do a rough model before you start. I find corrugated cardboard works, squishing sections of the air tubes helps form it. And in Canada we get duct tape training from our youth so no brainer there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links