How to mount ignition switch - Page 2
Close

How to mount ignition switch

This is a discussion on How to mount ignition switch within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Ews I am going to run into a similar issue when i replace my gauge cluster with a new digital one. My ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How to mount ignition switch

Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    I am going to run into a similar issue when i replace my gauge cluster with a new digital one. My solution will be to fabricate a new mounting bracket that will hold the new speedo/tach, likely from some good aluminum, or Vibranium if I the King of Wakanda ever pays up after losing that poker game. I like the key right above the handle bars so I dont forget to turn pull it out when I get off my bike.
    Yeh I would like to fabricate one myself but I got no tools or storage. I ended up just getting a mounting plate from eBay. Will post pics this weekend.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    I welded a small mount next to the battery box hidden away, but in retrospect, it's better in a position you can easily see and reach when sitting on the bike. Trying to insert a key into a keyhole you can't see is stupid. Flipping a switch is OK...
    On my Sportster the key was located right under the triple tree, I would hit the kill switch and walk away, came back to a dead battery a lot.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

I don't know where you are or how experienced a rider you are but you might want to consider a speedometer. On a dark road at night it is hard to judge your speed on a bike or coming off a highway and slowing to town or school zone speeds. You can do it with a tach but it you need to pay attention to what gear your in, a speedo just takes a glance. Here tickets are tied to insurance rates, if your 30mph(50kph) over your done biking, insurance companies close the door. And the crew in blue that caught you, financially they will bleed you like a stuck pig . Race track or road, speed costs money.
    Monsier_Mom likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I don't know where you are or how experienced a rider you are but you might want to consider a speedometer. On a dark road at night it is hard to judge your speed on a bike or coming off a highway and slowing to town or school zone speeds. You can do it with a tach but it you need to pay attention to what gear your in, a speedo just takes a glance. Here tickets are tied to insurance rates, if your 30mph(50kph) over your done biking, insurance companies close the door. And the crew in blue that caught you, financially they will bleed you like a stuck pig . Race track or road, speed costs money.
    Completely agree with you. The bike was purchased like that and I've already ordered parts . I prefer it that way because the bike was discounted and I would have eventually replaced it with an aftermarket one.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsier_Mom View Post
    Yeh I would like to fabricate one myself but I got no tools or storage. I ended up just getting a mounting plate from eBay. Will post pics this weekend.

You don't need many tools or much space to make a simple bracket. Or do what you can bending, shaping and take it to a shop to get mounting holes drilled or whatever done. Planning and patience will get you a long way in metal work. The other option may be a business that rents space and tools for the dyi people.

Ews
    Also if you can find a template online, there are a lot of machine shops that can crank one out on a CnC. It may be cost prohibitive, but it would probably be damn nice.

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

You don't need many tools or much space to make a simple bracket. Or do what you can bending, shaping and take it to a shop to get mounting holes drilled or whatever done. Planning and patience will get you a long way in metal work. The other option may be a business that rents space and tools for the dyi people.

You need to insert a photo of that little fellow sitting in a back alley of Dubai holding a lump of steel between his bare feet and using a dull file to whittle out a 38 revolver. Geeezuz...
    Monsier_Mom and woodsman like this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    You need to insert a photo of that little fellow sitting in a back alley of Dubai holding a lump of steel between his bare feet and using a dull file to whittle out a 38 revolver. Geeezuz...
    Aluminum factory in Madagascar
    they could do it for you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    We need to sell T shirts "Western and Wimpy". When I read Ews's "a template online and a CNC machine" I wept.

Ews
    We need to sell T shirts "Western and Wimpy". When I read Ews's "a template online and a CNC machine" I wept.
    Hey not everyone has teh skills/tools to make such things on their own. Im fortunate to have a nice big shop thats full of tools I can use... Just as soon as I clear out all the other junk that has found a home there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links