How to mount ignition switch - Page 3
Close

How to mount ignition switch

This is a discussion on How to mount ignition switch within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Ews Hey not everyone has teh skills/tools to make such things on their own. Im fortunate to have a nice big shop ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How to mount ignition switch

Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    Hey not everyone has teh skills/tools to make such things on their own. Im fortunate to have a nice big shop thats full of tools I can use... Just as soon as I clear out all the other junk that has found a home there
    I wasn't trying to put you down, it's just the difference in generational thinking, how we go about solving a problem.

The bracket really doesn't require too much for tools or skills, it's pretty basic.

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I wasn't trying to put you down, it's just the difference in generational thinking, how we go about solving a problem.

The bracket really doesn't require too much for tools or skills, it's pretty basic.
    Oh I'm not offended. I rarely outsource anything. In fact my dream is to someday have a shop large enough to do a full frame up restoration in house, body work, upholstery and all... Just need to win the lotto first
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    Hey not everyone has teh skills/tools to make such things on their own. Im fortunate to have a nice big shop thats full of tools I can use... Just as soon as I clear out all the other junk that has found a home there
    I agree not everyone has the tools, but it is amazing what some folk can do with basic hand tools (as in no power tools). As far as skill goes, again you are correct, but being the self proclaimed asshole that I am, if someone who rides a motorcycle tells me they can't make a switch bracket then I think they need a good swift kick in the nuts. So many folks think they can't do things like that and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. They need to try and when they turn it into scrap. Modify the approach and try again. I tried some metal bashing recently...nothing but a wooden buck and a body hammer and it completely went to shit and ended up in the scrap bin. Came so close to giving up, but changed the approach...gave it another try and it turned out just fine. Fuck failing.. trying bizarre stuff, learning new skills... its fun and I know I'm going to fail. I hate failing, its discouraging and can be expensive, but it teaches me things. I know it might have been more productive or nurturing for me to make some suggestions or post a video showing something similar being made, but then again.. maybe not. With Ebay and Amazon being the path of least resistance, the DIY thing is probably doomed.. except for wackos like woodsman who as it happens.. lives in the bush.
    woodsman likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

jcw
    I’ve always wanted to give metal shaping a go.

I am a new rider and I am just getting into all this stuff. It's my first bike and I want to spend more time practicing and riding than tinkering. I plan to have it for a DD. Eventually I will get into diy stuff but my living situation is complicated and I don't have any storage room whatsoever. Hate all you like but I've been dreaming of this moment in my life for some time and I'll eventually get into metal/diy work as time goes on. Thanks for all the help tho, just reading your comments gave me a better understanding of bikes in general. Cheers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    I’ve always wanted to give metal shaping a go.
    I don't think I'll ever be good at it. No room for an english wheel, and don't have the drive necessary to soldier through the entire learning process, besides, I'd rather preserve what left of my shoulder joints and spine for things that provide more immediate gratification if you get my drift. Going to take a stab at a tank, but so far have been pretty good at finding other easier jobs. Also going to take a stab at silicon bronze with the TIG later this week. Still do it once in a while with gas (oxy propane) , but hope with some practice and maybe set on 1PPS it will look like a little more presentable. I don't know if this was done with gas, but if so, and I assume it was, the sun must shine out of this guys rear end.

Name:  IMG_0014.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  424.3 KB
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Monsier_Mom View Post
    I am a new rider and I am just getting into all this stuff. It's my first bike and I want to spend more time practicing and riding than tinkering. I plan to have it for a DD. Eventually I will get into diy stuff but my living situation is complicated and I don't have any storage room whatsoever. Hate all you like but I've been dreaming of this moment in my life for some time and I'll eventually get into metal/diy work as time goes on. Thanks for all the help tho, just reading your comments gave me a better understanding of bikes in general. Cheers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    No ones hating. We're as harmless as those two old muppets up in the balcony. Hell I'll even give you points for learning to ride and not shredding it with an angle grinder.
    woodsman likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Yea, I don't understand the "hate" comment, I thought we were being helpful. If you are just going to ride and maintain the bike until you get to understand it then that is good, that's what new riders should do. My comments on the ease of making a bracket were just to tell you that should you have a place make it, that it's something you are capable of doing. Generally I find it easier to make something like that then guess if one from Flea Bay is going to work.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    I don't think I'll ever be good at it. No room for an english wheel, and don't have the drive necessary to soldier through the entire learning process, besides, I'd rather preserve what left of my shoulder joints and spine for things that provide more immediate gratification if you get my drift. Going to take a stab at a tank, but so far have been pretty good at finding other easier jobs. Also going to take a stab at silicon bronze with the TIG later this week. Still do it once in a while with gas (oxy propane) , but hope with some practice and maybe set on 1PPS it will look like a little more presentable. I don't know if this was done with gas, but if so, and I assume it was, the sun must shine out of this guys rear end.

Name:  IMG_0014.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  424.3 KB
    I would like an english wheel and a shrinker to start. Along with your mallets, slappers etc.

I have yet to braze but have a feeling since you are below the melting point of the parent metal, it becomes one degree of difficulty easier.
    That is lovely however.
    I think I would test the hell out of that rearset weld, though. lol
    Last edited by jcw; 04-17-2019 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    I would like an english wheel and a shrinker to start. Along with your mallets, slappers etc.

I have yet to braze but have a feeling since you are below the melting point of the parent metal, it becomes one degree of difficulty easier.
    That is lovely however.
    I think I would test the hell out of that rearset weld, though. lol
    The shifter looks like it was made from the handle of an adjustable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links