How to mount ignition switch
Close

This is a discussion on How to mount ignition switch within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a 1982 cb450t and it did not come with keys/ignition. It had a switch and anyone could ride away if I left it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How to mount ignition switch

I have a 1982 cb450t and it did not come with keys/ignition. It had a switch and anyone could ride away if I left it in the parking lot. I've since replaced the switch with an aftermarket ignition and I just randomly just mounted in any available hole. I think the original ignition slot was integrated into the cluster. I eventually want a cleaner look and am looking for ideas to mount the ignition key so that it if flush... With something. Ive done a bunch of research and am coming up empty. Does anyone have suggestions? I'll post a picture soon.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Monsier_Mom View Post
    I have a 1982 cb450t and it did not come with keys/ignition. It had a switch and anyone could ride away if I left it in the parking lot. I've since replaced the switch with an aftermarket ignition and I just randomly just mounted in any available hole. I think the original ignition slot was integrated into the cluster. I eventually want a cleaner look and am looking for ideas to mount the ignition key so that it if flush... With something. Ive done a bunch of research and am coming up empty. Does anyone have suggestions? I'll post a picture soon.

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Monsier_Mom View Post
    ...I just randomly just mounted in any available hole....
    Dear Penthouse forum....

J/K

the stock location was at the bottom of the stock dash just in front of the handlebars. If you don't have a stock dash then you can mount it anywhere. Most 70's hondas have the key mounted under the tank by the front frame downtube. most BMW's have it in the headlight bucket with a trick flat key.

if you just bought a generic flush mount key switch, most guys in the 70's made mounts like this to mount the key to the top clamp:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IGNITION-SWITCH-RELOCATION-PLATE-BRACKET-FOR-HONDA-CB750-CB-750-/161690444669

I did see one once where the owner mounted the key switch in the triple clamp stem nut. he machined his own aluminum nut with a housing for the keyswitch and since steering stems are hollow he ran the wires straight down through the bottom of the triple clamp. Wish I had a pic of it because it was trick.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 04-15-2019 at 08:49 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Dear Penthouse forum....

J/K

the stock location was at the bottom of the stock dash just in front of the handlebars. If you don't have a stock dash then you can mount it anywhere. Most 70's hondas have the key mounted under the tank by the front frame downtube. most BMW's have it in the headlight bucket with a trick flat key.

if you just bought a generic flush mount key switch, most guys in the 70's made mounts like this to mount the key to the top clamp:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IGNITION-SWITCH-RELOCATION-PLATE-BRACKET-FOR-HONDA-CB750-CB-750-/161690444669

I did see one once where the owner mounted the key switch in the triple clamp stem nut. he machined his own aluminum nut with a housing for the keyswitch and since steering stems are hollow he ran the wires straight down through the bottom of the triple clamp. Wish I had a pic of it because it was trick.
    Can you link me a photo of the key under the tank. I like that idea and have heard of it in forums but could never find a picture.

Here is a pic....

Name:  P1060079.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  194.5 KB
    Monsier_Mom likes this.

Another place could be under the saddle, as Norton did. By placing it there you get a nice cable layout, having it close to the battery.

Alternatively you could mount a non working ignition switch in an obvious location as a decoy
    and make the real ignition switch a toggle or even better a magnetic tether switch somewhere no thief will notice it.

Remember when they used to mount the key on the left side panel where it would hit your leg? That was about the worst location ever.

We have to put these on all our competition dirt bikes this year: https://www.trialstoreusa.com/jitsie...-with-lanyard/
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 04-16-2019 at 05:54 AM.

Ews
    I am going to run into a similar issue when i replace my gauge cluster with a new digital one. My solution will be to fabricate a new mounting bracket that will hold the new speedo/tach, likely from some good aluminum, or Vibranium if I the King of Wakanda ever pays up after losing that poker game. I like the key right above the handle bars so I dont forget to turn pull it out when I get off my bike.
    Monsier_Mom likes this.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

jcw
    I welded a small mount next to the battery box hidden away, but in retrospect, it's better in a position you can easily see and reach when sitting on the bike. Trying to insert a key into a keyhole you can't see is stupid. Flipping a switch is OK...
    Monsier_Mom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Here is a pic....

Name:  P1060079.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  194.5 KB
    So that's how it looks. Yeh I would rather just have it by he handlebars. I ended up finding a bracket on eBay using the link you sent. Hopefully it looks good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links