Starting issues.
Close

Starting issues.

This is a discussion on Starting issues. within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Not my bike, just trying to help. Guys got an 05 BMW 1200GS. Bought it as a non starter. New battery and it cranked but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Starting issues.

Starting issues.

Not my bike, just trying to help. Guys got an 05 BMW 1200GS. Bought it as a non starter. New battery and it cranked but no fire. New fuel, and the fuel pump wasn't pumping. So new pump, cleaned the injectors and new plugs. Fired up after a couple of attempts. Now it will start but only if you face south and stand on one leg. Here's his description of the start sequence.

"Still hesitant to start. Started it 4 times now and the best way seems to be. Turn key on, wait for everything to cycle and hit the starter for 2-3 seconds and release. Then turn key off and back on and repeat and it fires right up. It has a rough idle for about 3 seconds then smooths out"

Any advise what direction to go with this? It's not throwing any codes since the pump replacement.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Ews
    Sounds like maybe some bad gas in the lines? Run some Seafoam and see if that clears up. I would recommend a full tune up, plugs, oil change etc... If for no other reason than just to know its been done. I have had to force myself to start with the simple/stupid fixes first because I tend to immediately get all in depth and look for the most complicated issue it could possibly be. And then it ends up being something simple 9 out of 10 times.
    Stephen J likes this.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Not sure if the bike has carbs but if it does it could possibly be the idle adjustment screw. I had no idea what I was doing on my bike and I completely messed it up. The adjustment settings were all off. I ended up wanting to clean the carbs and I got a chance to look at the adjustment screw and it was basically screwed off of the carbs. I ended up not cleaning the carbs and fixing the adjustment so that it actually sits against the carb. I then reinstalled everything back on and played with the adjustment screw knowing it was sitting up against the carbs. Everything fired up and now I'm finally riding.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Maybe bad contact on the pump circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    Not my bike, just trying to help. Guys got an 05 BMW 1200GS. Bought it as a non starter. New battery and it cranked but no fire. New fuel, and the fuel pump wasn't pumping. So new pump, cleaned the injectors and new plugs. Fired up after a couple of attempts. Now it will start but only if you face south and stand on one leg. Here's his description of the start sequence.

"Still hesitant to start. Started it 4 times now and the best way seems to be. Turn key on, wait for everything to cycle and hit the starter for 2-3 seconds and release. Then turn key off and back on and repeat and it fires right up. It has a rough idle for about 3 seconds then smooths out"

Any advise what direction to go with this? It's not throwing any codes since the pump replacement.
    When you say "wait for everything to cycle" does that mean the F/pump is cycling on for a few seconds?
    Is there a relay for the pump that you can swap with another? Just need to make sure if its a 5 pin you swap it with a 5 pin... or whatever the case may be. If the connections inside the relay are festered, they can do funny things. On the Guzzi, I replaced all of the 4 pin relays with 5 pin, so if one acts up, I can swap it out with another for a quick check or limp home fix.
    In the past (and this is automotive related) if you have to cycle the key to start, it has been something like a check valve allowing fuel to drain back...as in no residual pressure in the system. You can overcome that by cycling the key. Not likely this would have have anything to do with your situation and keep in mind I know dick about BMWs. If there was a plugged filter or pickup, you might end up having to cycle the (key) pump to suck enough fuel past the restriction. Not all that likely if it smooths out and runs ok under load.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Thanks I'll pass all of this along and we'll see what's what. Cheers

When it's running look inside the fuel tank best you can and see if you notice anything out of sorts, bubbles or movement in the fuel around rubber hoses connections, splits in the fuel filter.
    and have valve clearances or compression ever been checked.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Way too many sensors on those damn things.( does it have ABS and 'crash' sensors? they are linked to fuel system) Nice bike when it's running though. The cheapest thing is probably a half hour at dealers, there are several common problems they can sort out after putting it on diagnostic computer. Anything mechanical, DIY it but the electrics SUCK. It's very very easy to spend 3~4 days messing with it if you don't have correct supplements to factory manual (I know from experience even low brake fluid can stop motor)
    Just remembered, there is a sensor wire right side under swing arm pivot on side or rear of gearbox (I forget what it's connected to exactly, been a few years since I did one) Anyway, because of position it can get damaged causing intermittent problems and starting issues.
    Last edited by crazypj; 04-16-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    Stephen J likes this.
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Well after a good run it seems to have ironed it's self out. Copied all the comments in case it returns. All the fluids are being changed and valves adjusted. Seems like he got a good deal over it needing just a little love. Time will tell. Thanks again.

Ews
    Sometimes all it needs is a few miles with a wide open throttle to clear its throat
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links