Motorcycle brakes - Page 2
Close

Motorcycle brakes

This is a discussion on Motorcycle brakes within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; No, not unless you completely kinked the hose and I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you wouldn't do that. Plus you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Motorcycle brakes

No, not unless you completely kinked the hose and I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you wouldn't do that. Plus you would have to work at kinking it that much. Too much hose can create places for air to hide and make bleeding more difficult, but that will give you spongy brakes not sticky ones. If geetos tip for clearing the return hole in the master cylinder works, it could be an indication the master cylinder could use a kit as well.

I suspect the fact that it started when you swapped the bars was just coincidence. How much did you ride this thing prior to swapping the bars?

PS... I just went downstairs and grabbed an old brake line off a 82 GL500 to see how sharp a bend it would take. It would take some doing to restrict the flow that much.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 04-18-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I assume we are talking about your 82? 450T if so, it is over due for brake rebuild kits if they still have the original stuff in there. You can make a nice bike out of that BTW, so don't fuck it up.
    This is a 400, but probably worthwhile for you to read. https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proj...ly-driver.html

If you have images like this in your head, its probably best if you don't come out of the closet.

https://www.returnofthecaferacers.co...a-honda-cb450/
    Last edited by Cyorg; 04-18-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    woodsman likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Monsier_Mom View Post
    Thanks. How can water get into it? This started happening once I swapped handlebars.
    Assuming you never pressure wash your brakes
    Hygroscopic = absorbs water right out of the atmosphere, at least part of your brake system is vented to the atmosphere, anywhere condensation can form it will. Normally takes years or unusual circumstance but it will exhibit that symptom if even a tiny amount of water ends up on the fluid side of that bladder inside the reservoir.

If dirt is getting in there water certainly is .... is unreal the nasty stuff you can find inside what is suppose to be brake fluid sometimes.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 04-18-2019 at 12:00 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Did I ever tell you about the guy who thought the bleed screw on his brake calliper was a grease nipple

took him forever to figure out he had to loosen the thing to get any grease in :|
    woodsman likes this.

I agree with Cyorg that it's worth reading all this thread. Transformation of bike and owner. https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proj...ly-driver.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    No, not unless you completely kinked the hose and I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you wouldn't do that. Plus you would have to work at kinking it that much. Too much hose can create places for air to hide and make bleeding more difficult, but that will give you spongy brakes not sticky ones. If geetos tip for clearing the return hole in the master cylinder works, it could be an indication the master cylinder could use a kit as well.

I suspect the fact that it started when you swapped the bars was just coincidence. How much did you ride this thing prior to swapping the bars?

PS... I just went downstairs and grabbed an old brake line off a 82 GL500 to see how sharp a bend it would take. It would take some doing to restrict the flow that much.
    I rode once a week so that I could get comfortable with it. Had no issues then. I did ride in a rain a couple of times but I didn't get brake issues then.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

do you own a service manual? A lot of the basic questions you are asking are covered in them.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    It's more likely the slider pins and slider bracket are corroded and locked up. The brake drags and heats fluid causing even more drag and heat, etc. Used to be a pretty common problem when they were 3~4 months old as British riders tended to ride all year unless the snow was too deep
    woodsman, TrialsRider and Cyorg like this.
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    do you own a service manual? A lot of the basic questions you are asking are covered in them.
    Yes I have one. It's not going to tell me why it's locking up. It just provides general maintenance. I can do all the maintenance I want but I just want to get an idea of why it got messed up in the first place.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazypj View Post
    It's more likely the slider pins and slider bracket are corroded and locked up. The brake drags and heats fluid causing even more drag and heat, etc. Used to be a pretty common problem when they were 3~4 months old as British riders tended to ride all year unless the snow was too deep
    Good point and one that reminds me not to let geocentric thinking get in the way. Where I live, slider pins as the cause would be much lower on the list. They would get a good cleaning and the proper grease on the way back together, but don’t recall seeing pins as the main problem. Has to do with geography. Salt or anything corrosive on the roads here is rare and you don’t get those types of problems. Did my sticking GL brakes and pins were fine. Hauled an 81 911 SC Coupe out of the weeds that had sat for about 14 years. Pistons stuck...pins ok. Now in the UK, or Ontario where Trials and Woodsman live is a completely different story. Those two probably have to shower twice a day to get the rust off.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links