Motorcycle brakes - Page 3
Close

Motorcycle brakes

This is a discussion on Motorcycle brakes within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Wonder what this would look like if it had lived its life in Ontario? That pile of shit next to it doesn’t even have any ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Motorcycle brakes

Wonder what this would look like if it had lived its life in Ontario? That pile of shit next to it doesn’t even have any surface rust. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Sorry for the highjack, but tormenting eastern folk is our civic duty.

Name:  50B50DCA-A727-4227-B7B9-3244B435DA0A.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  24.1 KB
    TrialsRider likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Monsier_Mom View Post
    Yes I have one. It's not going to tell me why it's locking up. It just provides general maintenance. I can do all the maintenance I want but I just want to get an idea of why it got messed up in the first place.
    It will tell you how to evaluate the part/system and figure out how/why it's locking up. Almost every manual I have had (including Clymer and Haynes) has a section on troubleshooting where it walks you through how to diagnose stuff.

Let's be clear, nobody here knows why your brakes are locking up either - we are all just throwing out suggestions based on personal experience gleaned from following the diagnostic procedures in the manual.

A service manual is NOT the "owners manual". The owners manual will cover basic easy stuff like when to change the oil and how to do bulbs and fits under the seat. A service manual is an actual book that will tell you how to service/rebuild anything on the bike. Look in the Table of Contents or the index, there should be a section on troubleshooting, and if not there should be a section in the brakes section that tells you how to troubleshoot brakes.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Yes you must be looking at the owner's manual. I don't have a 450 manual, but pretty sure the trouble shooting section in the back won't mention brakes, probably just engine performance and handling... but if you go to the actual section on brakes, the index there will indicate what page the brake trouble shooting info is on. Usually the beginning of the brake section... go figure. This is CBX and all the other factory Honda manuals that I have are similar. It looks like this only not cockeyed;

Name:  Brakes.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  98.1 KB

Interestingly enough, they don't mention pins, but to get to the pistons, you'll be finding out what the pins look like anyway. Guess they weren't thinking of the UK or Ontario when they wrote it. One thing that you need to keep in mind when using the factory manuals, they weren't written with you in mind. They were written for someone in the dealership like a certified tech, so they may gloss over or skip things than are considered basic knowledge or procedure. The manual does go on to describe how to disassemble, measure, and reassemble them, but you need to buy your own manual. Generally speaking IMHO factory manuals are better although sometimes harder to find and more expensive.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 04-25-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If the brand of bike was mentioned I missed it (back from two weeks vacation with no forum surfing and scanning to catch up) so maybe this won't apply, but here goes. In the world of Brembo master cylinders whenever someone says their brakes tighten up when riding, the conversation usually reveals the poster just replaced the brake lever or adjusted the play out of the stock lever. In doing so one of the ports in the MC gets blocked and the pressure builds to where the brakes start to drag.

So... is it a Brembo MC? Did you adjust the lever when you replaced the bars? if so, put some play back into it and problem solved.
    TrialsRider likes this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

This is a cb450? If it is, join the honda twins forum and they will supply you with a proper factory service manual for your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    If the brand of bike was mentioned I missed it (back from two weeks vacation with no forum surfing and scanning to catch up) so maybe this won't apply, but here goes. In the world of Brembo master cylinders whenever someone says their brakes tighten up when riding, the conversation usually reveals the poster just replaced the brake lever or adjusted the play out of the stock lever. In doing so one of the ports in the MC gets blocked and the pressure builds to where the brakes start to drag.

So... is it a Brembo MC? Did you adjust the lever when you replaced the bars? if so, put some play back into it and problem solved.
    It is a early 80's 450 Honda I think. Also "think" it has the stock M/C, so not the adjustment.... but good point. Always possible the lever was mangled or replaced with used or aftermarket and doesn't have sufficient clearance for the piston to return.

I was going to ask you an exhaust question the other day, but can't fucking remember what it was....
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links